TIPS on how I passed PANCE on the 2nd attempt. I went from 300 to 500 score

TIPS on how I passed PANCE on the 2nd attempt. I went from 300 to 500 score

I really want to thank PA Forum a million times over for giving me advice and support. I want to return the favor and help all worried PA ‘s with the PANCE.

I failed the first time I took the PANCE. It killed me inside. My worst nightmare had come true! I was crying and went into major depression mode. I was truly rethinking of changing careers and saying goodbye to the PA field forever. My first time studying I did the CME Resources in Chicago and the AAPA purple book and some former PA notes. I did not truly understand the concept of each disease but just memorized the facts. I have a photographic memory and I can memorize charts and diagrams really well but that’s not enough to pass PANCE. My biggest setback was the lack of confidence and extreme panic for the test. I was so extremely terrified of failing that I focused on that so much it is what I ended up doing…failing. On top of taking the PANCE too early, in which I studied for about 6 weeks right after I graduated while still working part time, planning my wedding, and other distractions. I didn’t fully commit the time and work like I should had.

Tips for success:

• Take the test after 2-3 months of studying at least 4-6hrs. Don’t do more than 8 hours. I liked what Iain1028 said. I made a plan on how to cover all the 13 topics which are on the blue print. I read each system from both books Usmle step 2 and Van Rhee on one day, took the test on those and then read them the next day and took the test again. It did really help. I read a lot and also practiced lot of questions.
  • Get your hands on Datachem, packrats (I have some just email me), I liked the Appleton &Lange Yellow itouch application, the Green Van Rhee book, AAPA pretest, Exam masters (this is KEY) and USMLE STEP 2.
  • Take your first month and study according to NCCPA Blue print and get through the USMLE STEP 2 review book. Review what you just learned before moving on. Make sure that you can write on a blank sheet of paper exam signs and sym, key lab values and tx for each disease. It’s a lot of work but it will help you at the end.
  • After studying a organ system from Van Rhee or USMLE step 2 do a practice test from Appleton and Lange/DataChem/Exam masters that is relevant to what you’ve just study. Go over your wrong answers and figure out why you got it wrong. Also, look at the PA forum for PANCE BUZZWORDs/WORD ASSOC. These were helpful during the test, it triggered words that were precise to the disease.
  • The second month you should do questions and then do more questions. Do the practice tests on Datachem and Appleton and Lange, and especially Exam masters! (Some questions were much harder than PANCE Qs but its critical thinking and it will help you understand concepts. Exam masters is really hard I only scored 65%-75% but keep using this because it will prepare you for PANCE. If I had exam masters the first time then I would have passed. Exam masters is all about critical thinking which is key to passing PANCE.

Here are my scores:

AAPA book pretest: 75.% pance exam had questions from the pretest

AAPA book posttest: 79%

Datachem: Scored between 80% and 85% on each subject area (average of the entire CD was about 82%)

Lange Q&A: Scored between 70% and 75% in each subject area.

Exam master: Did 85% of the questions: Scored between 59% and 75% on each subject area (average of what I did was 65%)

NCCPA self-assessment: Scored “high” proficiency in all areas except Cardio and GI going a into into the “borderline” proficiency block 2 weeks before the PANCE. So I concentrated on those 2 subjects.

Packrats-I was scoring above 80% when I felt confident in taking the PANCE exam.

• You will get to the point when you are close to your test date and you will panic that you have not learned enough or you are running out of time. Relax and assess your strengths and weakness. Focus on Cardio, GI, MUSK, Pulmo and HEENT and Repro. You have 24hrs to postpone your test if you feel you are not ready. Although do not keep rescheduling your exam. Really commit to a date.
  • If you are still scoring at or below 60% on your practice tests you need to do more reviewing. If you are at least a 75% in Datachem and AAPA pre and post exam you might do okay on PANCE. I was scoring 75% AAPA post test and 85% Datachem, 7 days before I took PANCE.
  • The most important advice I can give you is to have confidence in yourself! Remain calm so you can think clearly without second guessing yourself. Don’t overanalyze! You came this far and you will achieve your goals. Don’t give up, stay positive before and after, and especially during! Pray if you have to (this is what got me through). Believe in yourself. You made in through PA school and its just one more day of hard work and focus! Don’t let anything stand in your way not even this exam, you can do it. Good Luck!

I took my exam on Monday and didn’t sleep because I didnt feel confident! Finally on Thursday at 5:30am I found out I passed! It’s the best feeling in the world! I really feel like a ton of bricks has been lifted off my shoulders. I feel like the gray cloud of worry and doom is no longer looming over the top of my head.

• 8 months later...

interesting to always hear people's advice on PANCE. You say 2-3 months of studying about 4-6 hours per day. This sounds like certainly enough time to pass. I have heard others say that they took it ASAP after graduation, didn't open a book to study and still passed. And then I have heard everything in between. How can you explain this? I think it ultimately has to do with WHICH PROGRAM you were in, HOW WELL you did in that program, and HOW WELL you can read/answer large banks of questions (being a professional test taker). All of this other excessive studying I hear people talking about reminds me of the real nerdbombers of PA school, ya know like the ones that are always freaking out about grades, exams, getting the "best" review books, checking announcements and blackboard 24/7, asking a million irrelevant questions in lecture etc...But for some reason I really CRINGE when people talk/post about these extremely long hours of studying. Because the next PA student who reads that will study EVEN MORE....just to be sure. And then the vicious cycle begins. I guess I view some of these people as PANCE fear mongerers. So I think everyone about to take the PANCE needs to just relax and continue to do whatever has worked for them during PA school and take everyone elses advice with a grain of salt because NO ONE is right. And that includes my advice here of course.

Hey, I passed USMLE steps 1 and 2, and I'm studying for step 3 right now, and will be sitting for step 3 this year. I won't graduate from PA school til Nov 2012 and therefore won't be able to sit for the PANCE until then. Assuming I pass USMLE step 3 this year, will I need to study a lot for the PANCE? Thanks

I think I can answer one of your questions regarding how people take their PANCE right after graduation and did not open a book to study and still pass. It is simple. The majority of my friends started to do questions bank since the program began. So, they told me they study 5 hrs besides each day after class and 12 hrs on the weekend. You can multiply that by 2 to 3 yrs and the total hrs are around 4000 hrs. Personally, they happen to be my best friends and they did not tell me anything about the Kaplan qbank until after they passed the PANCE. It totally shocked me. I felt betrayed and down.

Another example, I have a cousin who is a MD now. She always claims that she never studied for anything prior to any exam. She spent all of her time in the bar but the truth is completely the opposite. She studies days and night and weekend, too. Everybody needs to study regardless how smart he/she is. If she/he is smart then they might spend less time.

Don't believe what people tell you.

interesting to always hear people's advice on PANCE. You say 2-3 months of studying about 4-6 hours per day. This sounds like certainly enough time to pass. I have heard others say that they took it ASAP after graduation, didn't open a book to study and still passed. And then I have heard everything in between. How can you explain this? I think it ultimately has to do with WHICH PROGRAM you were in, HOW WELL you did in that program, and HOW WELL you can read/answer large banks of questions (being a professional test taker). All of this other excessive studying I hear people talking about reminds me of the real nerdbombers of PA school, ya know like the ones that are always freaking out about grades, exams, getting the "best" review books, checking announcements and blackboard 24/7, asking a million irrelevant questions in lecture etc...But for some reason I really CRINGE when people talk/post about these extremely long hours of studying. Because the next PA student who reads that will study EVEN MORE....just to be sure. And then the vicious cycle begins. I guess I view some of these people as PANCE fear mongerers. So I think everyone about to take the PANCE needs to just relax and continue to do whatever has worked for them during PA school and take everyone elses advice with a grain of salt because NO ONE is right. And that includes my advice here of course.

I think I can answer one of your questions regarding how people take their PANCE right after graduation and did not open a book to study and still pass. It is simple. The majority of my friends started to do questions bank since the program began. So, they told me they study 5 hrs besides each day after class and 12 hrs on the weekend. You can multiply that by 2 to 3 yrs and the total hrs are around 4000 hrs. Personally, they happen to be my best friends and they did not tell me anything about the Kaplan qbank until after they passed the PANCE. It totally shocked me. I felt betrayed and down.

Another example, I have a cousin who is a MD now. She always claims that she never studied for anything prior to any exam. She spent all of her time in the bar but the truth is completely the opposite. She studies days and night and weekend, too. Everybody needs to study regardless how smart he/she is. If she/he is smart then they might spend less time.

Don't believe what people tell you.

I think the best thing to do is approach it like you do every other test in PA school, well ok maybe treat like a cumulative final, and study that way. I studied the two weeks after graduation and took it and passed. I used exam masters, aapa book, and kaplan book. Now this was what worked for ME not necessarily YOU. There is no SUREFIRE way to pass it, i think it all boils down to how one prepares for any test.

My $0.02

Hey, I passed USMLE steps 1 and 2, and I'm studying for step 3 right now, and will be sitting for step 3 this year. I won't graduate from PA school til Nov 2012 and therefore won't be able to sit for the PANCE until then. Assuming I pass USMLE step 3 this year, will I need to study a lot for the PANCE? Thanks

If you pass USMLE 1,2, and 3, why are you doing PA school? Just curious...

If you pass USMLE 1,2, and 3, why are you doing PA school? Just curious...

I haven't passed step 3 yet, still working on it and hopefully will clear it this year with God's help. My medical education was outside of the country, so I need to get more clinical experience in the US if I want to enter residency. At this point, I just want to practice medicine, as a MD or PA, not important to me. I'm planning to do Kaplan qbank for a month, is that enough given my background? Thanks

I think Kaplan qbank gives a good insight to the oddball questions that PANCE throws in. You might want to do another question bank like datachem or the aapa prep. I recommend Joe Gilboy's Prep. Our school paid for ours for two days with him. it was invaluable! http://www.paboardreview.org/index.htm Check him out he's excellent! BTW, if you get into PA school AND a residency match, are you gonna drop out of PA school? (not trying to be nosy but I feel that PA school shouldnt be for MD's who cant get a residency. It only takes a slot away from a person who has PA practice as their main goal-Not meant to be harsh but it seems unfair to prospective PA students-just my $0.02) God Bless!

I think Kaplan qbank gives a good insight to the oddball questions that PANCE throws in. You might want to do another question bank like datachem or the aapa prep. I recommend Joe Gilboy's Prep. Our school paid for ours for two days with him. it was invaluable! http://www.paboardreview.org/index.htm Check him out he's excellent! BTW, if you get into PA school AND a residency match, are you gonna drop out of PA school? (not trying to be nosy but I feel that PA school shouldnt be for MD's who cant get a residency. It only takes a slot away from a person who has PA practice as their main goal-Not meant to be harsh but it seems unfair to prospective PA students-just my $0.02) God Bless!

Thanks for your advice regarding the PANCE. I am already in PA school. I just want to be able to practice medicine in this country, so it's not important to me if I'm a PA or MD. I haven't made a decision whether I want to pursue residency later on or not, but at this moment, practicing medicine is my main goal, and PA route is the easiest, quickest, and cheapest way for me. If I decide to go for residency later on, it'll be after I'm done with PA school, if not, I'll be happy as a PA, a good and competent one :)

I'm studying for step 3 because I like the challenge, it forces me to keep studying and reading, after all, that's what medicine is about, a lifelong learning process

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hiii... I am still trying to study for the PANCE, and was wondering if you can help...

Do you still have the packrats you used? Could you please also share with me the plan you made on how to cover all the 13 topics on the blue print?

Also, how many days a week would you study? My major issue is me not being able to fcous as I keep worrying that I am going to fail again =(

I know you suggested to study 6 hours a day? It is amazing that you were able to read each system from both the Usmle step 2 and Van Rhee in 1 day, AND be able to take a test on those? How did you do this?

Archived