Supplemental Technical Difficulties

I am so distraught as I write this. I sat down to do my timed supplemental application and had just completed the first question. On question #2, I believe I double-tapped the text box or hit my "backspace" button to delete something. Next thing I knew, the question changed and I was on #3!!!

A banner popped up that read "Backspace Detected" and in my panic and confusion I thought it maybe meant that I should try clicking the backspace, to try to get back to question #2...... DON'T DO THIS!!!!!!! The application booted me off, and submitted!!!!! I only was on for 15 minutes and answered one question.

I am so incredibly distraught, and am so frustrated that I will not have the chance to share who I truly am with the admissions committee simply due to technical difficulties. My application may not even be reviewed now!

What an utter tragedy.

I was using my boyfriends MacBook too, which I am less familiar with, so I think that is part of why this happened. (Double tapping on a Mac must not do the same thing as on a PC.............)

I feel sick.

Just wanted to share this story so no one else makes the same mistake. You absolutely NEVER want to hit the backspace bar, and be careful where you click....

I am so distraught as I write this. I sat down to do my timed supplemental application and had just completed the first question. On question #2, I believe I double-tapped the text box or hit my "backspace" button to delete something. Next thing I knew, the question changed and I was on #3!!!

A banner popped up that read "Backspace Detected" and in my panic and confusion I thought it maybe meant that I should try clicking the backspace, to try to get back to question #2...... DON'T DO THIS!!!!!!! The application booted me off, and submitted!!!!! I only was on for 15 minutes and answered one question.

I am so incredibly distraught, and am so frustrated that I will not have the chance to share who I truly am with the admissions committee simply due to technical difficulties. My application may not even be reviewed now!

What an utter tragedy.

I was using my boyfriends MacBook too, which I am less familiar with, so I think that is part of why this happened. (Double tapping on a Mac must not do the same thing as on a PC.............)

I feel sick.

Just wanted to share this story so no one else makes the same mistake. You absolutely NEVER want to hit the backspace bar, and be careful where you click....

Email Doris Dalton. She is the director of admissions and she may be able to help.

ddalton@upap.utah.edu

• 1 year later...

Bah, it wasn't that bad. You can use the backspace button as much as you like. I used Firefox and had a ton of tabs open. I clicked on save and continue as well. What the website tells you NOT to do is use the refresh button on the browser. It also saves and moves to the next question if you dont click on save and continue. If you've taken the GRE, this question and response is easy. They give you plenty of time and it counts the number of words as you type.

There is no timer so I used my own timer. That's all.

Archived