Summer classes?

At my school its sort of difficult to take anatomy and physiology unless you are a biology major. I'm currently majoring in neuroscience, and trying to fulfill my PA requirements. I was wondering if it would be looked down upon if I took anatomy & physiology I and II or microbiology during the summer at a lesser known institution. I go to undergrad at a top 30 school, but the school that I would take my summer courses at is a local state university.

Any input is appreciated.

I took my microbiology, bio 1, bio 2, as well as all my general stuff (English, gov't, algebra, speech, business, etc) at a community college. Roughly 2 years of my education was done at a community college. I got into 6/8 schools I applied to and I don't think the 2 that rejected me did so because of my community college hours, but probably because of my lacking pre-reqs. I've also known someone who took almost all his pre-reqs at community college and still got in.

Now I did do my A&P at my university but I did them over the summer. Anyways.

I don't think it matters. From my experience, I received a WAY better education at the community college. Most of my learning at university has been entirely self-taught. The instruction I got at community college has been excellent! I don't think schools frown upon this whatsoever with maybe one or two exceptions. And in your case it's not even a community college. To be honest, the school you go to matters very little, your grades are way more important. Go for it!!!

So ignoring the type of university, are summer courses in general frowned upon because they are so condensed? I feel like A&P is a really important class for health care professionals, so I'm not sure how it would look to take a condensed version. But, summer class may be the only way to get the sequence done if I want to go abroad etc. Thanks for the input!

I would say it depends on how much you think you'll retain and what your previous exposure is to A&P. Personally, I think a summer A&P at the school I went to would have been suicide due to the amount of information and other work obligations I had, etc. As far as Micro, I did a summer course and was fine with applying and acceptance. Just be ready for the time commitment if you go with the summer version. I think at my school the normal attrition rate for A&P is about 50-60% during a regular semester, so I can't imagine a condensed semester. Just my input for what its worth. If it helps you stay on track for your course plans i say there should be no issue with PA schools unless they specify that they don't want a summer course.

I took exactly one science course freshman year of undergrad (at a 4yr school) - Bio - and got a D. That was in '99. In the past couple years I have taken all my prereq courses at community college and passed the majority with As (got a B in precalc but also hadn't taken a math class since '99). I got into my top choice school pretty quickly. I have one more class to go, and I plan to take it after I quit my job this summer. I called the PA program and they said the summer class is fine as long as it is complete before matriculation.

There are a few schools that will specify that they will only accept X amount of community college courses, but the majority of schools I saw didn't care as long as you do well. When it comes down to it, bio is bio, and though teaching styles/class size etc obviously differ from school to school, the core information should mostly be the same. I opted to go to CC because it was much much cheaper than our local state college. If you are really concerned, call the PA programs to which you are applying and ask them. They are generally open with that information.

Wait, you're at a top 30 university, and want to go to PA school? Unless you're at one of the state schools, I'd advise you to take a long, hard look at what your prospects for paying off your combined undergraduate and PA school debts are...

I'm lucky enough to be graduating from a Top 30 school with no debt actually. I understand that I am very fortunate, and I will probably graduate PA school without much debt (if any) as well.

Overall, thanks for the input guys. I think I will need to take the summer classes in order to go abroad and stay on track for graduate school.

Archived