Could being a "Tutor" be counted as community service?

If community service is defined as "Making the world a better place", does tutoring count?

I am a tutor for a family member (9 year old niece), and I feel that I am an educator and role model for my niece that I tutor. It has me consider entering PEDs after PA school. Would this be pertinent information to put under "Experience" on CASPA and discuss at a future interview?

It feels like a stretch, especially since it's a family member.  I'd avoid trying to make it an official 'thing' on your app.  If it comes up in interviews that you get a chance to talk about wanting to go into peds, then sure, use it anecdotally.

I think sometimes people get so focused on their applications that they forget that the simple actions of being a part of a family, church or a community do not need to be quantified or credited to be worthwhile. This is just life. This is just what we do to be good people. This is how you act towards people you care about.

I'm sure there are a lot of parents, sisters, aunts, friends, etc that have spent time with kids that inspired them (and maybe even led them to go into peds). This is the stuff to talk about during interviews or in a PS, this is not a check off on your application to rack up hours. 

I really didn't mean to be harsh... if working with your niece inspired you, take it to the next step and volunteer with Big Brothers Big Sisters or at a childrens hospital or charity. That would be great for an application and a great experience as well.

Archived