Pending Letter of Recommendation

Straight to the point: Will schools still consider my application for early review with a 4th LoR pending, or will it still be accessible to them with 3 LoRs already completed?

Some background: I currently have 2 LoRs submitted to my application, written by EM physicians that I work with. I had asked a PA who I was shadowing to write my 3rd one and he agreed early this month to do so. Due to some family medical problems, he asked that I stopped coming in to shadow and reiterated that I did nothing wrong. I had emailed him last week to see if he would still be able to write me one, however it's been a week and he never got back to me. I was afraid that I may have asked him distastefully and offended him, so I withdrew my LoR request. I asked another EM physician to write me a LoR yesterday, and he agreed. Today, the PA I shadowed emailed me saying that I can resume shadowing him and that he had written my letter, so I re-submitted my LoR request for him to complete. With that being said, I will now have 4 LoRs: 3 by EM physicians that I scribe for, and one by the PA I shadowed. My application is essentially ready for submission, with 3 LoRs submitted to my application and 1 pending. Should I ask the 3rd EM physician not to write me one anymore? I haven't sent him the request yet, but again, I'm afraid of offending someone by saying I no longer need his LoR. 

Thanks for the prompt replies. My 3rd LoR will be the from the PA. I'm well aware that 3 LoRs is the minimum requirement and 3 is all I really need. I did not intend to have 4, but was just curious if my application would be rendered "incomplete" by admission committees by having a pending 4th LoR. 

• 2 weeks later...

Can I add a reference (LOR) to CASPA after my application is verified? I am not absolutely clear if it is allowed after reading the CASPA section on LORs and the section on updating the application.

Yes.  

Many people apply for one, or a few schools, when they submit, but continue to research and add other schools later.  The 4th and 5th LOR "slots" are to allow you to meet additional schools' LOR requirements, regardless of your timing of application.

But, if you want a definitive answer, you should ask CASPA, not us.  

Archived