2016-2017 cycle

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys,

I am a Wingate PA graduate that just finished this cycle in 2016. I wanted to write a few things to encourage everyone that is applying.

1. Wingate PA program is a great program. It is well seen in the community. Also, I was more than well prepared to go out on rotations and not look like a total fool

2. In regards to the application process:

a. When I applied to Wingate my GRE score was 298 : V149 Q 149 W 3.5

b. My overall GPA was 3.0 science was a little higher I believe 3.6

c. Contact hours were maybe 500 split between shadowing and internship at a medical clinic

d. I had been on 3 mission trips

e. Interviewed in Jan (10th I believe), and got Waitlisted 

f. Offered a spot in March/April

3. The moral of all this? Your stats will not matter as much as you think. They look at the overall person and try to judge your character. So hang in there if you have not heard from them. They really use their Waitlist. Over 1000 applicants are screened every cycle. About 150-175 get interviewed between Hendersonville and Main Campus and 50-55 make it in on class.

Hope this helps everyone on here. I will be more than happy to answer any questions

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For anyone that had an interview or has been invited to one - Did Marie send you a follow up email regarding location and further details about the interview? I received the initial interview invitation email but have not received an email regarding location or specifics. My interview is Feb. 17th and am looking to book a hotel but will need to wait until I know which location I will be interviewing at!

Hey SoulPA13, I interviewed 9/13 and in my original invitation email it stated it was at the 'main campus' which is in Wingate. She sent a follow up email exactly two weeks before the interview going over all of the details though so you should be getting one any day now! Hope this helps.

Hi guys,

I am a Wingate PA graduate that just finished this cycle in 2016. I wanted to write a few things to encourage everyone that is applying.

1. Wingate PA program is a great program. It is well seen in the community. Also, I was more than well prepared to go out on rotations and not look like a total fool

2. In regards to the application process:

a. When I applied to Wingate my GRE score was 298 : V149 Q 149 W 3.5

b. My overall GPA was 3.0 science was a little higher I believe 3.6

c. Contact hours were maybe 500 split between shadowing and internship at a medical clinic

d. I had been on 3 mission trips

e. Interviewed in Jan (10th I believe), and got Waitlisted 

f. Offered a spot in March/April

3. The moral of all this? Your stats will not matter as much as you think. They look at the overall person and try to judge your character. So hang in there if you have not heard from them. They really use their Waitlist. Over 1000 applicants are screened every cycle. About 150-175 get interviewed between Hendersonville and Main Campus and 50-55 make it in on class.

Hope this helps everyone on here. I will be more than happy to answer any questions

Thank you for the info!

I have an interview at Wingate main campus on March 7th. Do you remember any interview questions they asked you? Any curve balls, specifically?

I appreciate your input!

For anyone that had an interview or has been invited to one - Did Marie send you a follow up email regarding location and further details about the interview? I received the initial interview invitation email but have not received an email regarding location or specifics. My interview is Feb. 17th and am looking to book a hotel but will need to wait until I know which location I will be interviewing at!

Marie told me that she will email again as the date approaches with specific details (Mine isn't until March 7th). Did you email her back after your interview invitation? It may help to confirm the interview date with her.--It may prompt her to give you more details. Good luck!

Thank you for the info!

I have an interview at Wingate main campus on March 7th. Do you remember any interview questions they asked you? Any curve balls, specifically?

I appreciate your input!

SaraMarie,

The interview is really geared towards you. They do not throw curveballs. After going through the program I got to know the faculty really well and they do not try to trick you. They actually want you to succeed. They expect professionalism that's all. 

Here are questions I got asked:

1. Tell me about yourself

2. What made you decide to become a PA?

3. Why PA and not NP or MD?

4. Where did you do your clinical experience before hand

5. And a couple personal questions pertaining to either your grades/family/etc

In turn I asked questions in regards to the Capstone Project which I had no idea what it was.

Hope this helps everyone and I want to encourage you guys to not worry. Looking back, you will be amazed at the things that you will learn and it is an awesome experience to be in PA school. The end product is an enormous responsibility to the patients that you will come in contact with. Good thing about it is that you will be READY!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Marie told me that she will email again as the date approaches with specific details (Mine isn't until March 7th). Did you email her back after your interview invitation? It may help to confirm the interview date with her.--It may prompt her to give you more details. Good luck!

Yes I did confirm with her after receiving her email. I emailed her a week ago confirming the time/day and she actually told me the wrong date in the email...so I am actually interviewing next week :)

Thanks KRushin!

For the MMI portion, did the faculty ask any kind of current events/social issues? If so, where they pertaining to the PA profession/healthcare or about current issues and events that our nation is going through? 

Nope, mine was just 6 stations of hypothetical situations. Some involved some ethical decision making, but you don't need to be up to date on policy or current events to be able to answer them! Was really relaxed, I had never done an MMI before so wasn't sure what to expect. But everything will go smoother than you think

SaraMarie,

The interview is really geared towards you. They do not throw curveballs. After going through the program I got to know the faculty really well and they do not try to trick you. They actually want you to succeed. They expect professionalism that's all. 

Here are questions I got asked:

1. Tell me about yourself

2. What made you decide to become a PA?

3. Why PA and not NP or MD?

4. Where did you do your clinical experience before hand

5. And a couple personal questions pertaining to either your grades/family/etc

In turn I asked questions in regards to the Capstone Project which I had no idea what it was.

Hope this helps everyone and I want to encourage you guys to not worry. Looking back, you will be amazed at the things that you will learn and it is an awesome experience to be in PA school. The end product is an enormous responsibility to the patients that you will come in contact with. Good thing about it is that you will be READY!!!!

Thank you so much! 

csaPA16,

Thank you so much for the great advice! You have been very helpful. Were those the questions you got asked during the individual interview or during the MMI portion? Do they ask scenario based questions for the MMI portion?

I am sorry, I am not familiar with MMI and what that is. I assume this is the multi group discussion. When I interviewed, all the candidates were around a table and the professors started a topic and let us, the candidates, discuss it. I think they were trying to see how we feel in regards to ethical issues. I don't believe this is a make or brake for your admission. I did not prepare for this at all, since you have no idea what they will ask. Just be yourself and professional. Don't talk over other people and listen to others. I think this is the most important aspect.

Hope this helps. I am open to answer any other questions you guys may have and Congratulations to the ones that have been accepted already!! You will love this experience

I am sorry, I am not familiar with MMI and what that is. I assume this is the multi group discussion. When I interviewed, all the candidates were around a table and the professors started a topic and let us, the candidates, discuss it. I think they were trying to see how we feel in regards to ethical issues. I don't believe this is a make or brake for your admission. I did not prepare for this at all, since you have no idea what they will ask. Just be yourself and professional. Don't talk over other people and listen to others. I think this is the most important aspect.

Hope this helps. I am open to answer any other questions you guys may have and Congratulations to the ones that have been accepted already!! You will love this experience

This is how the last class had the interview process (my class). But this year they changed it up a little bit to use MMI (unless they recently changed it again).

For those who have already interviewed - how long did you wait after your interview until they emailed you regarding your status? I'm getting really nervous and anxious! I absolutely love Wingate and I am praying so much that I get accepted!

For me (last class), mine interview was 2/17, Notified (waitlisted) 2/23. So just about a week. Not sure how long for others, this cycle, or for outright acceptance or denial. But hope that helps!

Archived