Clinical Research Coordinator as Direct Patient Care Experience?

I know that I will need to call each school I will be applying to know if they accept it or not but I was just wondering the general consensus in the PA forum.

The job information is:

The Massachusetts General Hospital Neurotherapeutics and Neuroimaging Division is currently

seeking applicants for a Research Coordinator position in its clinical research unit. The aim of

the program is to evaluate various neurotherapeutic (neurostimulation, i.e. Deep Brain

Stimulation) treatments for major depression and obsessive-compulsive disorder. Our program

participates in many large-scale, multi-site, NIMH and corporate-sponsored initiatives related to

depression and OCD. The program also encompasses several neuroimaging studies (both

functional MRI and PET studies) to learn more about brain functioning in mood disorders and

OCD.

Research Coordinators will manage and coordinate clinical studies, as well as work closely with

the clinical staff to manage patients’ care throughout the studies. Responsibilities include patient

interviews, patient recruitment, data collection and management, and grant preparation. In

addition, Research Coordinators participate in the research, data analysis, and preparation of

manuscripts

It's a min 2 year full time commitment and although I do want to apply starting this year, I feel adding on two full years of actual work versus the random patient care hours I've been trying to rack up while taking classes (I'm on my last semester before I graduate) could really help with my not-so-stellar GPA.

I figure with the amount of non-direct patient care hours into this job, such as data analysis and grant preparation, I would make it up volunteering those hours at nursing homes.

I really want to apply and get into PA school, but I don't want to simply apply if I believe I can be a much stronger candidate with a little bit more time.

So once again,

do you think this would be good direct patient care experience? Is it worth it?

Thank you for any input!

do you think this would be good direct patient care experience? Is it worth it?

Thank you for any input!

nope. this would be good for someone trying to get into medschool or a phd program, not pa school.

look into positions with more direct patient interaction like emt, medical assistant, lpn, resp. therapy, etc

Direct patient care is what its called, DIRECT PATIENT care. So if something doesn't have to do with the direct care of patients, it 99% will not count.

EMEDPA gave you some great options. Consider one, contact your college of program and verify, and good luck!

Like PA runner, I have been doing clinical research for the last 6 years and got interviews at most of the schools I applied and accepted at all 4 schools where I attended interviews. I also had a stellar GPA, good GRE scores, a previous Masters, and excellent recommendations. I was told more than once or twice I was a better candidate for Med school BUT I didn't let that stop me :wink: PM me if you want to know more or have questions.

Also wanted to add - I believe clinical research gave me a really good option to do mph/pa programs ... although this was not what I wanted schools asked me why I didn't pursue these avenues since it was in my background. If you really enjoy clinical research, you can still stick with it throughout your PA avenues via these dual programs if wanted.

Archived