DIY Post Bacc at University vs CC

Hi everyone,

First of all, thanks to all of you who participate on this forum.  As an aspiring PA, I've already gotten so much help on my journey through reading the posts on this site!  I know that this topic has already been discussed, but I would appreciate your thoughts. 

My undergrad GPA is not strong - 2.75.  I had serious health issues that affected my performance. As I wasn't a science major, the only science grades I have so far are the two CC classes that I took this year to get my feet wet - A & P I and Chem, and I got A's in both.  

I know that I need to continue to get all A's in my prereqs in order to be competitive.  With a low cumulative GPA, should I do a DIY postbacc at a 4 year university, or continue at the CC?  Will the numbers matter more than demonstrating that I can handle a more rigorous premed level coursework?  My concern is that while I know I could keep my grades above a B at the university, I am not sure that I could maintain a 4.0 while working and volunteering, and every little bit matters.

I'm also working on my HCE by becoming a certified EMT-B over the summer.  My plan is to work as an ER Tech over the next 2-3 years as I complete my prereqs.  I'll be volunteering at the children's hospital, and I will have my first shadowing experience next week.  I am determined to become a PA.  Thanks in advance!!

The formal post bac vs community college route has been asked numerous times on the board - if you use search you're likely to find a situation that meets yours and can probably answer more questions in a faster prior of time for you.  Also, take a look at the job market for ER Techs and see if that's a viable option for you.  Depending on where your located, jobs might be scarce, such as here in Southern California.  Most open ER Tech jobs here want a minimum of 1-2 years of ambulance experience first - just giving you a heads up that you might have to work on an ambulance first before being able to land an ER Tech spot, they're highly sought after.

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I've already read all of the posts on this topic already, but none of them specifically addressed how GPA is calculated on the CASPA vs demonstrating to a school that you are ready for the rigors of PA school by taking the courses at a more difficult university.   

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I've already read all of the posts on this topic already, but none of them specifically addressed how GPA is calculated on the CASPA vs demonstrating to a school that you are ready for the rigors of PA school by taking the courses at a more difficult university.   

CASPA's grade calculation isn't affected by where you took the classes...only by what the grades are. As far as demonstrating that you can handle rigorous coursework, it's almost certainly less important than the grade itself. Some programs might look down on CC coursework, but they're in the minority and should be easy to identify.

Science is science no matter where you take it. Community colleges might give out higher grades on average, but that just may be a result of better quality instruction...just a theory, of course. Knock out a 4.0 in 8 or so science prerequisites and you have my respect (and that of most PA programs I'm aware of) no matter where you do it.

Best of luck.

Archived