Rotation Experience?

I am finishing pre-requisites to apply to either a PA program or a BSN (nursing) program (with the goal of a later MSN in an advanced practice area).  I have the pre-requisites to go either way, but I'm worried about the rotation experience for PA students.  I've heard varying reports about what the rotation year is like in a PA program.

What are the typical number of hours required?  I've heard to expect 80 hour weeks like medical students.

I have young kids with no family nearby to help, so 80 hour weeks would probably be too high a burden right now (hence, doesn't make sense to apply to PA school if that is that case). 

Could you give me an idea of your workload in the second year of your PA program.  

Thank you for your assistance! 

I'm going through rotations now with a one year old.  It all depends on the rotation. My first rotation I worked 4 12 hour shifts from 8:00-8:00 with three days off to relax at home and stay with my daughter.  The next rotation was Mon-Thursday from 8:00-4:00.  This rotation I'm on now is Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri from 8:00 - ~6:00ish.  It all depends on what rotation you're in.  The hours for your ER or Surgery rotation are probably gonna be way different then your Family Practice rotation. We have several parents in our class and we all seem to handle it fine.  

Archived