PA school plan..do i stand a chance?

Hi!

I am a 22 year old senior about to graduate with a biology degree. 

My GPA currently is a 2.84, but I believe that when I graduate it will be about a 2.91 

My science GPA is even lower, currently a 2.55, but should be around a 2.64 when I graduate. 

I have not taken the GRE yet, I plan on taking that this summer. 

I also plan on using this year to acquire patient contact hours because as of now, I do not have any. I will most likely do a CNA program and work as a CNA for this year. 

I understand that both my gpa's are very low, and my prereq grades are as follows (have not calculated my prereq gpa): 

a year of biology with labs:

highest bio class 1: B-

highest bio class 2: B-

highest bio lab 1: A-

highest bio lab 2: B+ 

*does the class have to have a corresponding lab at thats what counts or can they be 2 random bio classes and 2 random labs?

A&P I:

class: B-

lab: C+

A&P II:

class: C+

lab: B- 

Microbiology:

class and lab: A 

gen chem 1 with lab: 

class: C

lab: A

gen chem 2 with lab:

class: A

lab: A 

*taken at community college 

orgo with lab: 

class: C

lab: B

biochem: B- 

english comp:

class 1: B+

class 2: A+ 

stats: B- 

social and behavioral sciences:

mix of high A's and B's 

Because of my low gpa, I wanted to take a gap year (this year) and then go get a master's degree in biomedical sciences to show I can succeed in an accelerated program. Then, if I do very well there, apply to PA school after completion of this program. I will have to take another gap year in between masters and PA so I will take that 2nd year to continue acquire hours. 

I will also make sure to shadow a PA as well. 

Is this worth it? Do I stand any chance? 

Is going to get a master's better than going to a community college and retaking the majority of these prereq courses?

Any input would be greatly appreciated! I'm at a crossroads and very unsure of what I can do because I would like to be as realistic as possible so I do not waste my time and money for nothing. 

Thanks so much in advance! 

Your GPAs are below most minimums for most programs.  You need to improve your study habits or change something to make sure, whether you retake classes or enter a masters program, you only get mostly As from here on out.  Since your GPAs are low, you will probably need to gain much more than only a year's worth of HCE.  Generally, low GPAs are helped by higher HCE hours.

Your GPAs are below most minimums for most programs.  You need to improve your study habits or change something to make sure, whether you retake classes or enter a masters program, you only get mostly As from here on out.  Since your GPAs are low, you will probably need to gain much more than only a year's worth of HCE.  Generally, low GPAs are helped by higher HCE hours.

I would take another gap year in between masters or class retakes and entering into PA school (that is if I get in on the first attempt) to receive more hours. 

Do you have any idea what would make for a stronger applicant profile in regards to a master's or just retaking classes as a student at large at a community college or university? Or does it really depend on the school? 

And if going to a master's or retaking classes (along with a good GRE, HCE, etc) will be enough to possibly get accepted to a program. 

In your specific case I would only go through the masters, if you can get great grades, to show that you can handle that level of work.  Currently, your grades do not show that you can excel at that level; therefore, getting your masters with mediocre grades would only do more harm to your application.  

Archived