timeline for applications & prereq completion

Hi. I'm organizing my pre-req plans, and am hoping to do the following. I'm trying to figure out if I'll be able to matriculate in the summer or fall of next year. I'm a bit unclear about application deadlines. I think CASPA says you can have no more than 8 credits in progress at time of app, but I feel like I've seen people still working on applications now in late April. By this time next year, add a few weeks, all my grades should be in. Can you advise?

This is my plan:

Summer: Bio 1, Bio 2

Fall: 

A&P 1

Gen Chem 1

Molecular and Cell Biology

Spring

A&P 2

Gen Chem 2

Biochemistry

Thank you!!

You have way too many pre-reqs left to take to apply this cycle.  Very few programs would even consider your app with that many in progress (even if they will be done by matriculation) and even if they do, it puts you at a great disadvantage when being compared to other applicants.

Follow your plan, apply next cycle (April 2017).  This means you will matriculate Summer/Fall of 2018.  Applications are open a year prior to when the program would matriculate you.  (Those applying NOW are hoping for acceptance to matriculate next summer).

In fall, schools are interviewing and you will be down 6 courses then. It would be very unlikely that you will be invited for an interview with six outstanding prerequisites. Most of these course are 4 credit courses, so you will be looking at over 20 credits worth of prerequisites.

Highly advise waiting until next cycle.

You have way too many pre-reqs left to take to apply this cycle. Very few programs would even consider your app with that many in progress (even if they will be done by matriculation) and even if they do, it puts you at a great disadvantage when being compared to other applicants.

Follow your plan, apply next cycle (April 2017). This means you will matriculate Summer/Fall of 2018. Applications are open a year prior to when the program would matriculate you. (Those applying NOW are hoping for acceptance to matriculate next summer).

Ah I see. That's odd no?

In fall, schools are interviewing and you will be down 6 courses then. It would be very unlikely that you will be invited for an interview with six outstanding prerequisites. Most of these course are 4 credit courses, so you will be looking at over 20 credits worth of prerequisites.

Highly advise waiting until next cycle.

No, I thought you matriculate the same year you apply

So do you include the work you intend to do in the interim year? This is such a strange system

Other grad programs may have you matriculate the same year you apply - but PA programs have to go through thousands of applications, host several rounds of interviews, and make decisions.  It's wholly unrealistic to think they would do that in 2 months prior to students starting.

CASPA opens in April of year XXX1.  You submit, hopefully get an interview that summer/fall of year XXX1.  You hear about acceptance either late XXX1 or early XXX2.  Then you start in summer or fall of year XXX2.  It does not sound odd at all.  There's so much more to your app than pre-reqs - and no guarantee you get in the first time you apply.  Keep earning HCE and saving money; there's no downside to a year dedicated to going through the app process without having pre-reqs to take.

You should read all the FAQ in the CASPA website. As far as cycles go, you are applying to matriculate next year. You do not matriculate the same year you apply. Schools do this for many reasons but it's usually because a high number of applicants and they need to review each application to select who they want to interview. From what OP stated I believe you should wait out this cycle that matriculates in 2017.

Right, I understand. So how do you indicate what you'll be doing between your point of application and point of matriculation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't....it doesn't matter.  They review your app for what you have done UP TO THE POINT OF APPLICATION.  Anything you project you MIGHT do for the year during application is just a guess and not a guarantee.  They won't evaluate you on what you *might* do.

In theory, you have a job now that you will continue to do while waiting to see if you get an interview but other than that, it just doesn't matter.

Archived