Who to choose for LOR?

This is my second time applying. Last cycle I was still in school and was lacking on healthcare experience, so I was rejected from both schools I applied to. 

Last Cycle:

1. My first letter came from the nursing supervisor at the home health agency I worked for (I was a home health CNA for two special needs kids).
  2. I never got close to a professor, so I had my college advisor write me a letter. 
  3. I shadowed an MD last summer and, while he said he'd write a letter, bailed on me at the last minute. I ended up having the mother of one of the special needs kids write me a letter instead. I know it was glowing, but I'm sure it wasn't that strong of a letter since she lacked an official "healthcare title."

This cycle I've finished my degree, gained more (better) patient care hours, and started some new volunteer experiences. However, I'm running into trouble on who to ask for letters of recommendation.

1. Currently, I work at as a CNA on a cardiothoracic floor and my nursing supervisor has agreed to write me a letter.
  2. A lot of schools want a PA or MD to write you a letter. I've just recently been introduced to a distant relative (Dad's cousin) who is an MD who has taught PA classes and is willing to talk to me and write me a letter. However, I'm worried because she's technically my relative and shares my last name, so I figure that can't look too great.
  3. I could probably ask my advisor to update the letter she wrote me previously, but I haven't been in contact with her since I've graduated (several months).
  4. I could also possibly ask my previous nursing supervisor to update her letter she'd written me before (she used to serve on a nursing school admissions board). I was with that agency for a year.
  5. Or, I could ask one of the charge nurses from my floor with whom I work regularly. I've been on the floor since January.

Any advice on which of these potential recommenders would be strongest? Sorry that's a lot of information, but any help or advice you could offer would be great! Thanks!

Unfortunately not. A PA at the office where I shadowed the MD made an offer to let me shadow, but I had a disastrous time getting permission through the governing system. It took months for the opportunity with the MD to happen and the system wasn't particularly happy with me because apparently I skipped a couple of hoops they failed to tell me I had to jump through... It's much too late now to start that process again and be able to shadow the PA long enough for her to write me any decent letter.

Schools usually require 3 LORs and it usually must be from; a professor, MD/PA (I think PA is preferable), and a work supervisor. You're lacking 2 of the 3. I would say to wait out and shadow a PA who will write you a LOR.

If you're set on applying try broadly as well, 2 schools is limiting your possibilities of landing an interview.

I agree with the above. Having 0 shadowing experience from a PA will make it exceptionally difficult to be considered for any program; most require at least x many hours as a minimum prerequisite for all applicants. You would greatly improve your chances by sitting this round out and working at getting some shadowing time under your belt. However, if you must apply, do not use that relative under any circumstances. That is a huge red flag to adcoms, especially since you share a name.

I agree with the above. Having 0 shadowing experience from a PA will make it exceptionally difficult to be considered for any program; most require at least x many hours as a minimum prerequisite for all applicants. You would greatly improve your chances by sitting this round out and working at getting some shadowing time under your belt. However, if you must apply, do not use that relative under any circumstances. That is a huge red flag to adcoms, especially since you share a name.

Not that this isn't true, but it wasn't my experience.  If your app is strong enough in other areas (and you have good HCE that allows you to understand the role of a PA) lack of shadowing or a PA reference isn't prohibitive.  I had all supervisor references, granted I didn't apply to ones that required a professor, and even programs that said they required a PA interviewed me.  I think my lack of shadowing only prevented 1 acceptance...I was able to prove to the rest of them that I understand the role of a PA after 7 years working in healthcare that following one around wouldn't have told me anything I didn't already know.  **The key, though, is having a very strong app in other areas (GPA, HCE, courses taken, etc).  It will be a red flag if the rest of your app is weak**

Do not use a relative.  I'd use a charge nurse (do you directly report to them?) since they probably have the best idea of how you work/what you're capable of.

Archived