Additional Chest Tube Removal Offer

Interesting situation. I'm employed by one hospital but do 99% of my work at the affiliation hospital. I have privileges at both hospitals. I work in Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery and at my affiliation hospital the legal team has decided that the PAs employed by that hospital are no longer allowed to remove patient's chest tubes. This does not apply to me because they are not my employer. This does however affect the Adult Cardiac Surgery PAs as they are no longer allowed to pull chest tubes for the adult patients. The Adult Cardiac Surgeons have come to me asking if I will pull their chest tubes for them (when I'm available) and have offered me between $25-$50 per patient. They said they will set up a contract with me and asked me what I thought would be 'fair compensation.' Assuming I get the okay from a legal standpoint does $50 per patient to remove their chest tubes seem like a fair offer? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...

This sounds super sketchy. You're talking about doing procedures on patients who aren't yours. I wonder why the hospital legal team would sign off on you removing chest tubes from other patients if they won't let their PA's do it. Still, $50 for pulling a chest tube seems pretty dope. I'm just surprised that the hospitals CT surgeons are willing to pay you but they wouldn't fight to keep that privilege for their PA's? There's more here than meets the eye. Be careful, but it's a good deal if you're 100% sure of your liability exposure and have support from your current employer.

Archived