General Prerequisite Questions

This year will be my first attempt at applying for PA programs. Since the CASPA cycle has not yet begun, I have not obviously started this application. I have been trying to figure out online whether it is acceptable that several of the prerequisite courses for some of my chosen programs will not yet be started/completed when filling out the CASPA application. The courses will naturally be finished by the start time of individual programs. 

Is it okay to be applying in this situation? And if so, how is it entered on the CASPA application?

Thanks very much!

Every program has different requirements for if its ok to have outstanding pre-reqs at the time of application, so that is a question you'll have to ask of every different program. If a course currently is completed or in progress, I don't think you can list in on CASPA, even if you intend to take it in the future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you fill out your courses in CASPA,you can list some as in progress or planning to take. This way, programs can see that you have a plan to complete them. You should be okay. I applied last cycle and was able to show what courses I was going to take.

Just be aware that some programs have a limit on how many prerequisites they will allow to be outstanding.

I agree with cop to pa. Some programs do have a limitation to how many "outstanding" prereqs you can have. I think a few programs I applied to said 2 courses maximum and some other programs said you had to have a bachelor degree. Just be aware of what the programs specifically require. Do some research on the programs. Also remember you will be applying against a large group of people who may have ALL their pre-reqs met or only one or two outstanding, so don't give up if you have to apply more than once. Good luck!

It depends on how many pre-reqs you mean by several. Some of the programs I applied to only allowed us to have 2 outstanding pre-reqs while I applied. Will some of the outstanding pre-reqs be completed at the end of this spring semester? Because depending on when you submit your application, that may help you out a little. I would personally call each program you're looking at applying and ask them about it. Also, it might not hurt to find and apply to programs where you don't have as many outstanding pre-reqs bc like holly_diana said, there will be a lot of applicants with no outstanding pre-reqs so you want to make your application as strong as possible! 

On more CASPA tips, you can check out my post here: http://apthepa.blogspot.com/2016/04/applying-to-pa-schools-caspa.html

Some programs want all pre-reqs completed by their application due date - not the start of the program.

And as others have said, there is usually a limit on how many can be in progress during the application period.

If you have too many outstanding, it makes you a gamble for schools because they have no idea how you might do and it wastes a spot for another applicant.  It also gives you a disadvantage compared to applicants with all pre-reqs done.

Archived