thoughts and opinions on UNM SOM's PA program?

Guest daviduri

Guest daviduri

UNM School of Medicine's PA program is one I'm seriously considering. Unfortunately, there's a real dearth of information about it on the web. This forum is no exception -- completely empty!

Is there anyone on here who is attending, has attended, or has talked with someone who attended this program? I'm eager to hear thoughts on its relative merits, etc.

Thanks in advance.

• 1 year later...
Guest Recon Doc

Hi there,

I'm a current student at UNM's PA program. I'm a first-year and I was in your shoes about 2 years ago. There's not much info out there on this program and I can answer questions if you like.

Guest O2 Hit

Great school! I'm a first-year student. UNM's program is affliated with the School of Medicine (big plus) and you take your Fall and Spring classes (first year) with the med students. Same lectures, same tests. Emphasis is placed on PBL during some classes. I had no PBL experience during my undergrad but I have learned quite a bit from what few experiences I've had with it.

Don't be discouraged because it's an undergrad program. It's highly competitive and 99% of your classmates already possess an undergrad degree. An emphasis is placed on rural health of which, I'm a big proponent.

• 4 months later...

How hard is it to get accepted into the program?

As of now (although I'm still early on in my academic career- still an undergraduate), my grades are fair and my experience limited to CNA training and Recreational Therapy at a rehabilitation center/long term health-care.

any suggestions?

• 1 month later...
Guest sampayam

Hi,

There is a sure dearth of info on our school. I am in for the Class of 2010 and excited. Please respond.

I am here to answer questions as well.....atleast the ones for which I would have an answer.

To previous post of competitive enough....in terms of med experience, yes. Other important factors seem to be grades (gpa) and commitment to NM. I would find a PA who graduated from there, or even go and talk to the faculty or Marlys about what it is they are looking for. What I do sense is GPA first, maturity a close runnerup.

Marlys is a super doll.

• 1 year later...
Guest socalsurfersean

Hello,

I am an aspiring PA and am currently considering the UNM PA program. Does anybody know what the employment rate is post grad. Also, does any one know the competitive employment advantage of obtaining a MAPA versus a BAPA

• 10 months later...
This just in:

UNM PA program will be a graduate program starting with the class of 2012! I am super lucky to be in this new class.

As far as competitive goes: They had around 250-300 applicants and took 15. Being a New Mexico resident who wants to stay in NM is a big deal.

Congrats on getting in!

This transition has been a long time in coming, I'm sure all involved in the program are glad to see it finally come to fruition.

• 4 months later...
Guest bumper

I am a UNM PA student, class of 2010, two months away from graduation.

The UNM-PA program is very unique in that many of the classes in the first year are shared w/ the MD students. We basically take all the classes they take! They go study the basic science related to each block, neuro/genetics/cardiac/etc., in more detail in the afternoon, while we go to more classes that focus on clinical pharmacy, pediatrics, adult and geriatrics for each block. Group oriented problem based learning is emphasized, I loved it, very exciting.

There are definite problems with the program, scheduling around the med school puts pressures on the PA schedule and pace that are not always beneficial. The amount of material is daunting and you have to attend a lot of classes at the med school that take things to a level of scientific detail that is not needed/helpful/integrated into the PA approach. After A&P MD and PA students take different tests, we at our program, and they in theirs. They take the science a lot deeper than we do because they are prepping for the SMLE I.

Still, being a couple months away from graduation, I am very happy with my knowledge. I can speak about the science of medicine without sounding like a doof, I am told by the attendings that I have worked with that UNM PA students outshine the MD students due to the additional clinically oriented classes we attend.

Guest bumper

Oh yes, it is very competitive to get in.

If you are not from NM, or do not plan to practice here, it is very unlikely you will get selected.

Guest bumper

I am a UNM PA student, class of 2010, two months away from graduation.

The UNM-PA program is very unique in that many of the classes in the first year are shared w/ the MD students. We basically take all the classes they take! They go study the basic science related to each block, neuro/genetics/cardiac/etc., in more detail in the afternoon, while we go to more classes that focus on clinical pharmacy, pediatrics, adult and geriatrics for each block. Group oriented problem based learning is emphasized, I loved it, very exciting.

There are definite problems with the program, scheduling around the med school puts pressures on the PA schedule and pace that are not always beneficial. The amount of material is daunting and you have to attend a lot of classes at the med school that take things to a level of scientific detail that is not needed/helpful/integrated into the PA approach. After A&P MD and PA students take different tests, we at our program, and they in theirs. They take the science a lot deeper than we do because they are prepping for the SMLE I.

Still, being a couple months away from graduation, I am very happy with my knowledge. I can speak about the science of medicine without sounding like a doof, I am told by the attendings that I have worked with that UNM PA students outshine the MD students due to the additional clinically oriented classes we attend.

• 2 years later...

I noticed that the class of 2011 PANCE 1st time pass rate is 75%. This seems a bit low, and it is a significant drop from the previous years of 93% (2010), 93% (2009), 100% (2008), and 100% (2007). Any idea what's happening there?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm wondering the same thing, groundhog. I am originally from Texas, but currently living in California. The PA Program at UNM is one of my top choices, but now I'm wondering if I should even bother applying since they seem so strict about residing in NM. Does anyone know how many (if any) out of state residents are usually accepted to UNM?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived