DUI Question

Five years ago, as a stupid undergrad, in the space of 6 mos. got 2 DUIs - - thankfully did not hurt anyone but myself. They are misdemeanors.

I entered treatment and then went on to earn my MA in mental health counseling.

Now, I am considering my options. Do you think I would have any chance of 1) being accepted by a PA program and 2) obtaining a license?

Many thanks for any insight you might be able to offer.

DE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, this is a bit more appropriate to the pre-PA section than the professional and new York sections. Also, if you look in the pre-PA section, you'll find that this is a topic that has been discussed a few times.

In short, it's a road block that is a negative, but it can be overcome. Oh, welcome to the site.

Two does show a pattern, so it can be more problematic than one. However there is honestly no good way to tell since adcoms are made up of different people who look at things like this with their own points of view. At the very least you will be required to report it on your application with a text box to explain yourself, so you do have an opportunity to elaborate on the experience somewhat. I always advise that apps with reported infractions need to keep two things in mind:

1) Understand that regardless of how you perceive the level of seriousness to be related to the infraction, you are asking an adcom to take a risk on you vs. a potential stack of applicants with similar qualifications but less risk. Look at it from their perspective and make sure the rest of your app is stellar enough to justify that risk.

2) if you are worried about any reported infractions to be up front and inquire with the schools you are interested in and see what their response is like before bothering to apply. If you get the impression from any that this is a deal-breaker, look elsewhere.

Archived