Nice per diem perk: paid intubation training

I just got a new per diem job that I will probably do 2-3 nights/month (am cutting down at primary job to do this).

They require that all PAs & NPs working this job do a week in the OR with an anesthesiologist doing intubations to include glide scope, Direct laryngoscopy, and LMAs before working solo. ok, so it's a long drive for a few tubes/day, a  scheduling mess doing days in OR and nights at my regular job, sleep deprivation, and a hoop to jump through until they said the magic words" we will pay you for your time". well, ok then. I finished up there today and got signed off by the chief of anesthesiology. great experience. honestly would have paid for this experience. I've done more intubations in the last week than the last 20 years, all with someone critiquing my technique and giving pointers. truly an excellent educational experience. they started me off with the easy ones and worked up to my last patient of the day today: big dude with big neck, big teeth, big tongue. yes, glide scope all the way. prior to this week have not been a big glide scope fan, but now after some serious practice I can see the advantages, especially with the tough tubes. I told my wife this time would be paid( I initially thought it was not) and she already has plans for the extra money. new couch apparently.

I just got a new per diem job that I will probably do 2-3 nights/month (am cutting down at primary job to do this).

They require that all PAs & NPs working this job do a week in the OR with an anesthesiologist doing intubations to include glide scope, Direct laryngoscopy, and LMAs before working solo. ok, so it's a long drive for a few tubes/day, a  scheduling mess doing days in OR and nights at my regular job, sleep deprivation, and a hoop to jump through until they said the magic words" we will pay you for your time". well, ok then. I finished up there today and got signed off by the chief of anesthesiology. great experience. honestly would have paid for this experience. I've done more intubations in the last week than the last 20 years, all with someone critiquing my technique and giving pointers. truly an excellent educational experience. they started me off with the easy ones and worked up to my last patient of the day today: big dude with big neck, big teeth, big tongue. yes, glide scope all the way. prior to this week have not been a big glide scope fan, but now after some serious practice I can see the advantages, especially with the tough tubes. I told my wife this time would be paid( I initially thought it was not) and she already has plans for the extra money. new couch apparently.

Sounds like great training. AND you got paid for it. cant beat that

Archived