How does retaking classes work after graduation?

Hi everyone! Long story short, my stats are pretty much borderline enough to be able to apply, and I don't have much that makes me a strong applicant. I will graduate in May with a 3.1, 1000 PCE, 300 shadowing PAs and MDs, and various campus involvement with pre-health type programs.

I have the finances to apply, so I think that I will just to get the experience of applying and hopefully some useful feedback from schools.  That being said, I'm more so aiming towards sculpting next cycle's application, and I'm wondering how to improve my GPA?

I know that I can retake classes, but since CASPA incorporates the original grade and the repeated grade, I'm a little unsure of how long it would take to raise my GPA up to at least average. I'll be working full time to bring up the PCE as well, so I'm trying to get a ball park on if I'm truly shooting for next cycle (apply 2017) or if I'll actually need to wait an additional cycle (apply in 2018).  

How long did it take you to raise your GPA to a confident number? How many classes did you retake? How expensive did that end up being? Do you recommend community colleges or post-bacs?

Thank you for any insight, I really appreciate it!

Assuming you graduated with around 100 credits, retaking classes will not boost your GPA by much, especially since CASPA doesn't perform grade replacement and instead does what you stated. However, some schools do take grade replacement such as WesternU (i always mention this one because it's the only one i know of). If you decide to pursue the path of retaking classes, then you should target schools that do grade replacement but I don't think that's a viable plan since that really narrows your school list down exponentially. Overall, I don't think retaking classes is a good solution. Perhaps retake some core classes such as A&P I and II or organic chemistry.

You could also do a post-bac such as a SMP (special masters program) or just pursue a masters degree in science. If you do well in a SMP or masters programs then it can only help your application. 

3.1 GPA is low but it's not impossible. There are success stories out there of people with low GPAs that got accepted (view the "PA applicant stats page" thread). Typically these people have many years of HCE/PCE, great GRE scores, great LORs from the years they've spent working with providers, and an inspiring personal statement. 

You didn't mention GRE score. Are you planning to take it?

I don't think you should apply this cycle. Might be a waste of money. 

I don't think you should apply this cycle just because you have the finances available. Many schools will not give you any feedback as to what to do to improve your stats, they are busy screening and interviewing potential candidates. I know some schools do give you feedback (SUNY Upstate) but you have to wait way past their deadline for them due to the high number of applicants. Some don't give any feedback at all beside a scripted rejection letter.

If I were you, I would spend that money on retaking any science courses that you may have done less than favorable (C+ and below) at your local community college, and as mynamewasused mentioned it will not increase your GPA by much. Focus on studying and getting stellar GRE scores. Also during that year or two off build up your HCE to further make you competitive.

3.1 is low but not impossible, you can make your application more competitive by stellar GRE scores and quality HCE. Applying to this upcoming 2016 cycle you would be practically donating to those schools you apply to.

Unless you have Cs on your transcript, taking NEW classes would be more beneficial for boosting your GPA.  Retaking ones will average.  So If you got a C initially and get an A this time around - you're only averaging a B which is a 3.0 which probably won't help a lot.  So only RETAKE classes if you did really poorly and it's a pre-req that you need to prove you can handle otherwise, take new, upper level science courses that will help expand your knowledge and hopefully give you a whole bunch of 4.0 credits - that is what will pull your GPA up.  It still may take a while.

My undergrad required about 120 credits to graduate (15/semester) so if you have a similar amount of credit, 1-4 credit class of a 4.0 isn't going to make a huge difference.  Taking 3 -4 credit classes will be about 10% of your current credit balance and that might help.  Basically you may need to take a lot of courses to pull up a GPA.

This definitely helps my perspective in next steps.  I want to put in my all to show that I can handle PA school, so I'm down for the hard work but I don't want to waste time/money repeating courses if it's best to move forward with new classes - since I have about 130 credits. 

I will be taking the GRE right after I graduate and have been studying for that. I'm confident that I will do well but will retake if necessary.

Thank you all!

I'll echo a few things, I would only retake courses that you received a grade below the cut off for schools that you are interested (usually nothing less than a "C' is accepted for pre-req) and take new upper level science courses to not only increase your GPA more efficiently, but to prove to ADCOMs that you are able to handle upper level course work. Make sure to gain HCE during this time as well as volunteer/shadow to show you know what you are getting into.

• 2 years later...

Archived