Choosing a Program Dilemma

Hi everyone,

I know many of these dilemmas pop up throughout the year, and here is one more!

I was all set on attending a state school (VERY low tuition, small class size, brand new building that will be ready for our incoming class, good feedback from previous students, but below average (91%) board scores) until my #1 accepted me off the waitlist. YIPPEE!

My #1 has a higher tuition, larger class size including undergrads from the 5 year program, and is in a different state, but has 100% pass rates over the past 12 years and great facilities.

SUNY Upstate vs. DeSales University

So, why am I hesitating? I feel as if I am left wondering whether or not I should splurge on my #1 school and accumulate more debt, or if I should stay at the state school because the end goal is to become a PA and that will happen at both places. 

Any advice and insight is much appreciated!!

State school.

But for a detailed answer - consider the curriculum, the rotations, COL for either, where you want to practice after school, etc.  The PANCE rates are mildly concerning but 91% is still good and sometimes it's a reflection of the students, not the program (something to look into).

If all things are as you listed or the same in both places, state school.  Don't take on debt just for a name.

SUNY upstate is a fine school and Board scores will be determined by you and you alone.  Aggregate board scores are a much bigger reflection on admission and remediation policies than they are on your specific likelihood of passing the boards.   For example, if they admit high risk applicants to meet a mission and favor remediation and retention over dismissal, the board pass rate will be lower.  If you are not a high risk applicant (given where you were accepted you are not) and you do not need many remediation attempts, you are at no greater risk of not passing the boards.

I was accepted to SUNY upstate a few years ago. I enjoyed my visit. However, at the time at least, they were a little shaky on rotation sites. They were open about this, just some sites dropping, etc. I was made aware that I might be spending some time in Buffalo. It surprised me that very few rotations would take place at the hospital there. I ended up at a program where 90% of the rotations are within a 15 minute drive, which I really value. Again, it looked like a solid program and if you can save money, that's great. Maybe ask them where the bulk of your rotations will be and if they provide any housing for them. Their anatomy lab was very nice and I like how they front loaded it during the summer/fall. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I had to make this choice about a month ago. DeSales is a fantastic program. It may be out in the middle of nowhere, but the facilities and faculty are great. 12 years 100 % pass rate is tough to accomplish. But I personally choice SUNY over DeSales. SUNY's only loses about 1 student per year and has a higher graduation rate. Yes their pass rate is 91%, but PA's have told me that 90% of how you do on the Pance is all from your studying and preparation, while 10% is from the school. Also, Desales's class is getting larger and larger while their staff stays consistent. One class had a large withdrawal and fail out rate. I think that was class of 2014 or 2015. Now that you are in you can ask them about that without any fear of retaliation.

In the end, I enjoy small classes and a low attrition rate better. If you wanna see what people suggested on my post here's the link. http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/index.php?/topic/38530-accepted-to-different-programsnow-to-choose/

I had to make this choice about a month ago. DeSales is a fantastic program. It may be out in the middle of nowhere, but the facilities and faculty are great. 12 years 100 % pass rate is tough to accomplish. But I personally choice SUNY over DeSales. SUNY's only loses about 1 student per year and has a higher graduation rate. Yes their pass rate is 91%, but PA's have told me that 90% of how you do on the Pance is all from your studying and preparation, while 10% is from the school. Also, Desales's class is getting larger and larger while their staff stays consistent. One class had a large withdrawal and fail out rate. I think that was class of 2014 or 2015. Now that you are in you can ask them about that without any fear of retaliation.

In the end, I enjoy small classes and a low attrition rate better. If you wanna see what people suggested on my post here's the link. http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/index.php?/topic/38530-accepted-to-different-programsnow-to-choose/

Thanks for your advice! I ended up choosing Upstate. :-)

Archived