What are my chances?

Hey everyone, as the title states, another "what are my chances" thread.

My biggest concern is that because of my undergrad degree, the classes I've taken won't seem competitive to someone with a biology degree or similar. I've taken a lot of post-bacc prereqs at my community college and have some science classes from undergrad (A&P 1,2, Bio 1&2, Chem 1&2, Orgo 1, medical terminology, microbiology, developmental and abnormal psych) but don't have the orgo 2/biochem/genetics etc. that most colleges don't require but recommend. I also have no shadowing experience (though I work with PAs every day). 

Stats

Undergrad degree: Anthropology

cGPA: 3.99

sGPA: 4.0

GRE: 160V (85%) 151Q (45%) 4.0W (56%)

HCE/PCE: 5000 hours of MA experience (non-certified) in a combination of pain management and urgent care.

Volunteer: Spent every Saturday volunteering at an addiction clinic for a year so I guess that would be ~200 hours. I've started volunteering at hospice but only have ~10 hours so far. 

Honors/Extracurriculars: Dean's list (all semesters), Phi Beta Kappa, Magna cum laude, university honors program graduate, was in a sorority in college

Research: 1 year biomedical  research experience as a student IRTA at NIH (3-5 days a week while in school), ~100 hours of animal behavior research at GWU (not in a lab)

Shadowing: none

Thanks for any advice you may have!

Your major won't determine whether or not you're ultimately accepted or rejected from a program. In my opinion, with the stats you have provided, you are a very strong candidate and I would be shocked if you didn't at least receive interviews. If I were you, I would shadow 1 PA if possible just to make sure you have that covered. It will also give you an opportunity to gain exposure to the profession up close and personal. With no shadowing hours, expect to be asked why you haven't shadowed any PAs at all if and when you receive an interview.

Good luck!

If you meet the prereqs, you will likely get interviews. You will need some good references and a good essay.

I second the statement that you need to shadow. By seeing what PAs actually do in different settings can you be sure of your path. Without shadowing, the adcoms will wonder why you didn't.

Archived