want to apply to touro uni, but....

I have not taken the UNE biochem class. Perhaps you can find someone who has through the "online classes add to the list" thread in the PA forums or perhaps visit the UNE website to learn more about it.

Classes that do not require a lab component are generally accepted as online courses from regionally accredited programs. Check with the program's you're interested in to get a list of approved courses from each program to ensure competency for your prospective program.

Since the biochem requirement is only 3 units, no lab is required meaning you can take it online most likely. Being an alumni from TUN, I know the University of New England course is approved. You're always welcome to verify with admissions.

Here is a link to the TUN prerequisite / admissions page.

https://tun.touro.edu/prospective-students/admissions/applying-for-admission/pa-admission/

Awesome, thank you for your support! I am talking to the admissions counselor at Touro Uni Nevada right now about the program. 

I see that you are currently out in the work force as a PA. I was wondering what field do you work in and if you have experienced any frustrations with the profession as of yet? Like how is the relationship between you and your supervising physician, do you feel like an underling or an equal associate? 

Awesome, thank you for your support! I am talking to the admissions counselor at Touro Uni Nevada right now about the program. 

I see that you are currently out in the work force as a PA. I was wondering what field do you work in and if you have experienced any frustrations with the profession as of yet? Like how is the relationship between you and your supervising physician, do you feel like an underling or an equal associate? 

I work in family practice and Urgent Care right now. I'm in a medium sized practice with 6 DOs, 4 PAs, and 2 NPs with a big support staff that includes referral coordinators, back / front office MAs, dedicated customer service teams and a well laid out infrastructure / chain of command. We have 4 locations for family practice and 5 urgent care locations. The FPs chief medical officer is the SP for the 4 x PAs and co-signs out charts (the NPs have no cosign requirement in my state) and TBH, I never work with him due to logistics, but he is always a phone call away if I need him.

I believe in the 4 months I've worked I've only contacted him about 3 cases for a consult (1 was an admission for surgical debriedment, another was for a hemochromatosis patient I diagnosed, and another was a guy who is allergic to every BP med he's taken), but most of his guidance on the action plans he pretty much agreed with and just reassured me in my decision. I usually will shoot a quick question to whichever provider I work with whether its a PA, NP or DO, we all kind of bounce questions and consults off of each other.

So as for a direct SP relationship, I would say that there really isn't a direct oversight per se, but I know he's there if I need him. The staff does a very good job in showing their appreciation for me and the other providers and I feel we are all treated as equals. We have a monthly leadership meeting that all the providers and office leads / managers attend and we discuss everything that is going on and iron out any conflicts that need to be ironed out.

My frustrations have been with the proposed NCCPA changes for CME and re-certification. I was told they wanted us to take an exam every 2 years... My BP sky rocketed and after some expletives I immediately regretted becoming a PA with my mortgage of a student loan thinking how much easier it is for NPs, MDs and DOs to maintain their CME / recertifications. I'm still upset about it and I haven't really followed the discussion and back and forth from what has happened when it was first announced because of general life stuff, but I digress. 

Overall, I'll say that TUN is a great program and you'll feel well prepared to start practicing after graduating from here. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived