Need Some advice from accepted PA students/ Administration/ PA's

I have my Bachelors degree and gradated with a 3.5, I have been inducted into honor societies and have been working as a  Medical Assistant for the past 6 years and now I am working in the OR of a hospital while I am taking a Post BAcc class Orgo. All of my grades are between B- and A as well but Orgo I seem to be tanking... I want to apply for this cycle coming up but I fear that a grade of a B- or C+ is really going to make or break my chances of getting in. I have 2 glowing letters of recommendation as well as a committee letter that I was selected by my school to receive as well and what I think a strong personal statement essay that explains why I want to be a PA and who I am as well as my journey to figure out how I wanted to become a PA and what it means to me without saying that I want to be a PA because one saved my Grandmas life (not to offend anyone but it seems that thats the topic of choice).... Basically I don't know what to do because I don't want to drop the class and I can't miss this cycle to apply that is coming up.. I don't know if anyone has been in the same boat as me and has applied and gotten in or what was the outcome but any advice will help! Thank you 

^^ exactly.  I had a C in biochem (granted I had mostly As in everything else) and not a single school even mentioned it.  One course won't ruin your GPA.  As long as it meets the minimum for schools (i.e. some require a B- or better in all pre-reqs) you'll be fine.

I was going to say the same as @kenab. I didn't have a high GPA and I applied in August and I was accepted. Try to write an amazing personal statement and do your best in Ogo! You can also get a letter of recommendation from a science faculty member, CASPA allows 5, so that wouldn't hurt! Can't stress it enough, apply EARLY!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you!!! Since orgo is a pre-req I'm really on edge because my professor outlines work and we have to go home and teach it to ourselves and this is one intense class! I don't know if when people review transcripts they take that into consideration but I'm extremely nervous if for some reason I get an interview or was considered for an interview then get my grade back with a C+ a school will turn me down.

Thank you!!! Since orgo is a pre-req I'm really on edge because my professor outlines work and we have to go home and teach it to ourselves and this is one intense class! I don't know if when people review transcripts they take that into consideration but I'm extremely nervous if for some reason I get an interview or was considered for an interview then get my grade back with a C+ a school will turn me down.

If they accept you, you just have to meet the minimum requirements (and they will likely tell you as such in an offer letter).  Check the pages of the schools you apply to.  If they only require Cs, your C+ would be fine.

While it's true that 1 C won't hurt your GPA, it does look bad that you survived a college career with 3.5, then went on to get a C in the only class you were taking. You have half a semester left, talk to the professor, use the tutoring office, do whatever it takes to make your application as strong as possible.

Having said all that, the advice of applying early and broadly is good. You're sure to get multiple interviews and offers.

While it's true that 1 C won't hurt your GPA, it does look bad that you survived a college career with 3.5, then went on to get a C in the only class you were taking. You have half a semester left, talk to the professor, use the tutoring office, do whatever it takes to make your application as strong as possible.

Having said all that, the advice of applying early and broadly is good. You're sure to get multiple interviews and offers.

I agree it doesn't look good that I'm only taking orgo and I'm afraid I'm doing horribly and no a 3.5 isn't great but I always was taking 6 classes a semester and working full time with a child at home and my grades are all B-A so it came out to a 3.5 some how. All of this was put into my personal statement as well explaining how I've tried my best. I have 11,000 hours about of hands on time, strong letter from Cheif surgeons as well as the director of all the PAs in a hospital as well as a committee letter from my college and I'm on a few national honor societies I was inducted to...I'm just trying to make a worse case if I get a C+B- if I will end up messing my chances of getting in

In your personal statement, explaining your circumstances will help a lot! My GPA tanked (received a D in two classes) during my sixth and seventh semesters of college because a lot was going on in my personal life. During this past cycle, I applied to 9 programs, interviewed at 4, and was accepted. While I do have a good amount of HCE (phlebotomy and clinical research), I don't have anywhere near the 11,000 hours that you have. I hope this helps!

Archived