Overall Chances?

Hello Folks,

I'm a newbie that's been lurking around for a while. Would really appreciate it if you can give me some advice.

I know that I shouldn't rush this process but I'm curious at a particular program especially Red Rocks CC in CO. A little about myself, and I will be a little vague for anon purposes. I will be graduating with bio this spring CGPA: 3.5 SGPA 3.3, 4 years experience as a nurse and 1 year as a CNA in various health care settings. 2+ years of research, 4 years volunteering + leadership roles and PA shadowing etc. I'm from the northeast.

I'm missing a couple of pre-reqs. I have anatomy and physiology separately, but they're "comparative vertebrate" anatomy and physiology...

I tried looking at the site for info regarding required course, but other than the ones that they out right specified, the others are under "recommended". Will this really hinder my chance for applying to this school in upcoming cycle? I don't have the GRE.

Thank you!

I like to think of recommended courses as icing on the cake. Think about why would they recommend them? They will most likely prepare you better and in some cases will gain you a small amount of points on your application scoring.

Those course could also be the difference between picking you or picking somebody else for an interview.

I think you have a great background!  Someone else might have more course work but you may have more "life" experience as a RN/CNA.  It depends on what the program stresses.  Each program is different and prefers a different type of student.  I always recommend talking to the faculty, sitting in on a class and talking to current students.  Gives you the best look at what goes on at the program as well as your chances based on their current student population!  :)

Thanks everyone. It seems as though the pre-reqs are getting more advanced as the time goes on since I started this process 4 years ago. Some of the pre-reqs that I am missing is biochem and Human A&P, which I have 8 credits of Advanced Comparative Vertebrate A&P. I'm assuming red rock is probably very instate and surrounding area bias, which cause me to think if it's worth it to apply to a program like that with very basic minimum application stats like mine.

Archived