Best FM textbook for PAEA exam...suture kits?

Hey all,

I was wondering what your favorite or most recommended textbook was for your FM rotation, specifically if you had to take the PAEA EOR exams? Also, does anyone have any recommendations for good suture practice kits? I think all my preceptors have said they are going to get me expired sutures and old needle driver stuff but its never come to fruition and I am willing to spend a little cash to be able to practice.  Thanks in advance for any advice. 

I'm not sure on which text book to recommend, but I liked doing questions (my program provided ExamMaster and then brushed up on what I did poorly on.

Now as far as suturing, I think most of the kits are worthless. Here's the secret... Make friends with the scrub techs and nurses. This is the key... They will have the panacea of sutures for you. Your attending is too busy. For practice, As weird as this sounds, I just would pick up cheap cuts of meat... Lacerate it.... Approximate it.... Repeat.

Buy a basic medical instrument kit. I use this one. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KLOBO64/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Like others said, make friends with scrub techs and grab some to take home. I bought pigs feet to practice suturing at home. Worked great.

As far as textbooks for EOR exams-- Case Files for FM, Bratton's Family Medicine, and my favorite book "Color atlas of Family Medicine" by Usatine.

If you want practice questions-- get Pre-test Family Medicine or if you like doing quick questions on iPhone get ABFM Exam Prep which is a free app with 200 questions on it. That's all I used and I did well on exam.

Archived