NHSC

So I am highly interested in the NHSC program, since my dream is working in urban areas with health disparities anyway. The application just opened up and I am very excited! However, I was reading over the application and found some statistics that was a bit concerning:

post-131358-0-16804300-1456875420_thumb.png

Anyone that is familiar with this scholarship program want to elaborate? Last year, there were 2,111 application received, 196 awards given, and 11 continuations. When it says continuation, does this means the number of people who stay with their site AFTER their year(s) of service, or is this the number of people who continue on with the scholarship and did not elect to opt out of it?

If it is the latter, why is the retention rate so low? Is it hard to maintain? Do people find that the benefits of having this scholarship do not outweigh its requirements?

Thanks!

My understanding is that the continuations are for scholars who, for example, asked for one year of support at the time of the award but in the following school year decide that they want more support from the NHSC. 

While in school you are required to stay in good standing per your school's requirements. 

I'm still in school now so I can't tell you if the benefits of the scholarship outweigh all the requirements but I don't see why it wouldn't. I love the program so far. My school is pretty expensive and I'm glad to not have to look forward to the student loan debt. They have paid for everything including my medical equipment, laptop, and travel expenses for one clinical rotation.  They also have a mentor program where they partner you up with a program alum and mine has been amazing. She helped me set up some of my rotations in areas where I see myself working after graduation.

I encourage you to apply. Don't let the numbers stop you. Good luck! 

Thanks for starting this topic Disciple3! I agree with aimy's response about continuations... I believe it's just the number of students who received funding last year and remained in good standing so continue to receive funding. It may seem like a low number but remember you can apply for the scholarship at any point while you're in school (including your last year).

As for the start date, I believe NHSC will reimburse you for the costs incurred over the Summer (and for loans already disbursed that Fall) for programs that begin earlier.

Does anyone know if there are interviews involved in the application process?? Also, any resource with application tips would be wonderful... all I can find are old forums.

When you completed your application, what did you put for the start/end dates?  It wants July - September but most PA programs start somewhere around May.

I had a start date in August.

Does anyone know if there are interviews involved in the application process?? Also, any resource with application tips would be wonderful... all I can find are old forums.

I wouldn't recommend posting there but SDN has a handful of NHSC threads.

Oh ok, I thought there would be, but that's kind of a relief. It says you probably won't find out if you got it or not until September 30th. Does it really take that long to find out?

When I applied I got my credit checked in June, received an offer in July and got my welcome letter in September. 

Aimyhtixela, if you don't mind me asking, were you from a disadvantaged background or no? I just know that there are priorities and second priority is disadvantaged background, then third (last) priority goes to everyone else. I was just wondering how hard it is to be awarded the scholarship either way. I know the competition is fierce to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the responses everyone!

My program starts May 31 of this year... I was under the impression that I could apply this cycle, but I just began filling out the NHSC application and got the following error message in the Degree Information section: "Each school year must start between July 1st and September 30th. Please revise your program start dates." Should I just modify the start date to July 1st and assume that's ok, or does this mean I can't apply until next cycle?? I really didn't think this would be an issue... :/

I was also interested in this scholarship, but noted that it said if you are not willing to relocate after graduation to not apply. I have many local ties and was hoping to not have to relocate for my two+ years of work after graduation. Can anyone speak to how this works? There are many sites locally to where I live that are listed on the website, but may not be considered in high need. If a local site near me is hiring after graduation, is this something I can pursue? or would I automatically be directed to a in high need area elsewhere?

Thank you for starting this thread! I was also interested to see if they give priority to those who come from a disadvantaged background. Also, for the non-academic letter of recommendation, do you think I could use the letter of recommendation for the PA I shadowed? 

Aimyhtixela, if you don't mind me asking, were you from a disadvantaged background or no?

No, I am not. As an applicant I was curious about that too and saw that question asked frequently. Based on the threads I read here and elsewhere all recipients who responded to that question said they were not either. Then again forum members are only a small representative of the scholars so make of that as you will. If you do some searching on the NHSC website or NHSC-approved work sites there are biographies of current scholars and alumni. That may give you an idea of the kind of applicant they are looking for.

My program starts May 31 of this year... I was under the impression that I could apply this cycle, but I just began filling out the NHSC application and got the following error message in the Degree Information section: "Each school year must start between July 1st and September 30th. Please revise your program start dates." Should I just modify the start date to July 1st and assume that's ok, or does this mean I can't apply until next cycle?? I really didn't think this would be an issue... :/

I didn't come across that issue so I don't know. I recommend calling the bureau or sending them a private message on Facebook. 

I was also interested in this scholarship, but noted that it said if you are not willing to relocate after graduation to not apply. I have many local ties and was hoping to not have to relocate for my two+ years of work after graduation. Can anyone speak to how this works? There are many sites locally to where I live that are listed on the website, but may not be considered in high need. If a local site near me is hiring after graduation, is this something I can pursue? or would I automatically be directed to a in high need area elsewhere?

There are plenty of sites and not all are registered on their website. You're allowed to work anywhere in the US and its territories as long as your site meets the current year's HPSA score. The most recent score requirement is 16 for 2016. In 2015 it was 14. If where you want to be is an area that has many sites with scores above that range and you find a job within 6 months after graduation, you may not have to relocate. But after that the NHSC will assign you to a site that may or may not meet your preferences. 

FYI they don't "send"  you anywhere. If you can find a qualified job in your area (based on HPSA score) then you can stay where you are. If, after a generous amount of time you can't seem to find a job on your own, they will help you get some interviews and yes, you would then have to be willing to relocate or pay back 300% for defaulting.

I was awarded my scholarship in 2009 and graduated in 2011. I found a job (on my own) in the same town where I graduated from PA school. I did eventually move (my choice) to a smaller community to work in a clinic with my same company. I completed my NHSC service in 2013 and stayed in my position for another 1 1/2 years when I "moved on" because I needed a change of pace. I have been in contact with many NHSC scholars who graduated after me and NONE of the were sent anywhere. They all found jobs on their own.

Does anyone know how strict the credit check is? I am planning on taking a lump sum settlement offer for two of my credit cards before starting school. I know this will show up negatively on my credit report, but it doesn't have anything to do with defaulting on a federal loan. The instructions here are kind of vague. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived