NHSC

Low salary? I was paid the going rate for primary care in my area. Which was more than double the amount you mentioned. Remember that it is the federal government paying your scholarship and a separate entity paying your salary when you start working. They are totally separate.

They paid 100% of my tuition (but I had instate tuition at a state university) and gave me a monthly stipend as well as a one-time lump sum for "other reasonable costs" (which they determine). Be careful that you are not confusing loan repayment with the scholarship when looking at numbers.

thanks for your prompt reply woodsters. in regard to the low salary, it said on their website the average pay was 47k. so I thought that was incredibly low. insultingly low actually. I was hoping it was more because this seems like an incredible deal.

I also have in state tuition at a state university. if you don't mind me asking, how much was your tuition?

Yeah, I don't have any idea where they got those numbers but I wouldn't put any weight to them. If you are interested in loan repayment you must first graduate, pass the PANCE, get a job in a setting that qualifies, wait for the application to open, apply, hope to get it... and if you do, the clock on your pay back time starts once the award is granted. So be sure it is something you want to do because some amount of time that you work will not count towards your repayment.

Archived