Health care experience

How does this sound? Working in assisted living as CNA ... accumulating around 450 hours and scribing for 450 hours? Would that be good enough for HCE? It is diversified and close to 1000 hours. Is this a good plan? I'm not sure if working as a CNA in assisted living is good enough. It's nearly impossible to land a job in the hospital as a CNA right off the bat where I live.

I would think CNA would be better than a scribe.  CNAs actually get their hands dirty, so to speak, and work directly with patients.  My understanding of scribe is that it's mostly note taking.

If schools require 1000 hrs, you need 1000 hrs.  Close doesn't cut it.  Good applicants will have several thousand hours and that's who you are competing against. So is it good enough?  There's only one way to find out...

Try applying to "less desirable" hospitals that are not located directly in the city. They usually have a higher turn-around rate for entry level positions; CNAs/PCTs/Techs...get your feet wet then apply elsewhere. 

Scribing is limited in hands-on experience, and CNA in an assisted living is limited in scope of practice. Best of both worlds would be to become a hospital based CNA (EKGs, telemetry, vitals, specimen collection, and exposure to a wider range of medical/surgical procedures). 

Archived