EM CME Course

I'll be attending this course and thought I'd tell others about it as well. Sounded interesting, especially for those just graduating or getting into EM. With only 8 participants per course there is probably a little more hands-on time and instructor interaction than the EM Bootcamp. Also, sounds like some good procedure instruction involved as well. 

Definitely an interesting idea and the thought of small group sessions seems great, but I wonder how the 'flipped classroom' will come into play. They say the small group sessions will provide an opportunity for question/answers between the group and the faculty member, but I'd hope it would be a little more structured than just a QnA session.  Looking forward to hearing your experiences... please let us know!  

• 1 month later...

Attended this course a couple weeks ago and figured I would give ya'll a report back on it. As a recent grad, I registered for the course as a jump start to working in the ED or for acceptance into a residency since I was applying to several. I was considering one of the typical EM bootcamps but the dates on those were farther out than what I was looking for. 

Full disclosure: I will be starting the EM residency at Univ. of Iowa this summer. I had just scheduled my interview when I registered for this course and found out I was accepted to the residency prior to the course. 

Overall the course was fantastic and very informative. The folks that ran the course top notch and good teachers with great knowledge. Many of the people involved with their PA residency are active in this class. 

I was emailed 12-13 prerecorded lectures to listen to ahead of time. The lectures covered the major topics in EM and focused on the major life threats/complaints and the "can't miss" stuff. Length of the videos were 25-45 minutes with most around 35. 

Course runs 8-5ish daily. The group discussions revolved loosely around the video lectures and were facilitated by EM faculty. Questions were heavily encouraged and most of our discussions ended up being focused on things the group of us were interested in relating to that topic/complaint. There were five of us attending this course, 3 NPs and 2 PAs. Two of the folks work solo EM at critical access hospitals in Iowa and the other two work part-time in community ED. I was the only one not from Iowa. We had a good mix of experience in the group and this facilitated good discussion. 

There were procedure labs mixed into the discussion group as well. Some of the procedure stuff we got to work on were:

-slit lamp & ocular US

-FAST and cardiac US

-US guided IV and central line placement

-IO insertion and use

-some suturing

-airway management- DL, LMA, King Airway, bougie

-splinting

-chest tube insertion

We also did some simulation exercises in their sim lab on toxicology, arrest and peds stuff. Useful stuff to dust off the old brain. 

Only thing that didn't run super smooth was the critical care section which was a 3 hour block one afternoon. This was too short of a time for the topics they were asked to cover and I'm sure they will have more time in the future. 

So, would I attend the course again? Definitely. This course would be ideal for those working in EM who didn't do a residency and have found themselves kind of wanting to advance their understanding and skills. New grads working in EM would benefit from this teaching for sure. The solo EM folks in our group also said they learned tons. Everyone has to do their CME on something, so why not spend a week at an academic center that has a physician and PA EM residency and get some clarification on questions you have about your practice or learn a skill you've never done before. They plan to continue this course in the future and are currently marketing it to EMPAs in Iowa but others from outside of Iowa are certainly welcome as well. 

Archived