Patient Care Experience?

Hello, I am an undergraduate student living in nyc. I have recently decided I want to become a PA. I am on track with the courses I am taking for PA programs, but I would like to begin getting experience in health care. I've begun looking into volunteer work at a hospital near my school. What other ways can I receive patient care experience? Thanks everyone for the advice!:=D:

Just a warning: most reputable, long-standing PA programs will not accept volunteer work as quality healthcare experience. Take a little time to get a certification that will allow you to gain paid, direct patient care. This will boost your application tremendously and make you more of a viable contender. You have plenty of time; the competition is fierce so it's best to apply with all of your ducks in a row!

Good luck to you.

Just a warning: most reputable, long-standing PA programs will not accept volunteer work as quality healthcare experience. Take a little time to get a certification that will allow you to gain paid, direct patient care.

Volunteer work is nice, but you don't do anything that is actually patient care and while watching is great it doesn't mean anything. I watched oh I dunno 100s of IVs be put in when I was a CNA, but when I became and LVN and learned to do it I might as well have never seen it done. I agree with the above advice, at least become a CNA. Sure it hard and often unpleasant work, but you will learn sooooo much. I really value my time as a CNA, I think it made me value my team, and helped me be a better patient advocate.

Archived