How Much per Pt?

Hi, I have a second part time job where I see patients in a couple of nursing type homes for an IM Doc. They are more sub-acute elderly patients there after a hospitilazation for PT/OT, etc. I am sure many are probably Medicare type payers?

I see follow-ups or really just progress note (kind of a status check) on patients. Pretty much a one sheet note

And the new admits which are H&Ps, which is about 2 pages.

I go a couple times a week and on one weekend day.

I have been doing this for a year now and the extra experience and income sure help. Easy going part time job which fits into my full time job in Rad Onc nicely. The doc is really laid back and nice also.

But after talking to a Nurse Practitioner, who works in this area, she assures me I am grossly underpaid.

Does anyone know, typically how much should one make per pt per status check and H&P in these type of sub-acute rehab centers for the elderly?

Thank you for any input. I am in AZ.

When I did housecalls 6 yrs ago...

All SNF encounters were between Level III- Level V (or else why bother).

It was typically 1/2 --> 2/3 of the CMS/Insurance reimbursement for the encounter.

New

99304--> Nursing facility Initial--> $88.00

99305--> Nursing facility Initial--> $123.67

99306--> Nursing facility Initial--> $157.31

Established

99307--> Nursing facility Subsequent--> $42.13

99308--> Nursing facility Subsequent--> $64.89

99309--> Nursing facility Subsequent--> $85.28

99310--> Nursing facility Subsequent--> $126.39

99318--> Annual --> $90.04

(above rates does not reflect regional adjustments)

Average rates for 2011 and 2012: here

Interesting article: here

YMMV

If you are a full time employe would expect 35 to 45% of gross receipts in pay with another 10 to 20% in benefits.

If you are doing only part time with out benefits you should get 50 to 70% of collections. Remember that PA rates are 85% of the doc rates

I would be happy with rates in the 60 to 80 per hour and then make sure you produce atleast 150 per hour

Many many docs just see us as a way to make money. Nothing wrong with making some money off us but no need to try to pay us close to nothing and make big bucks off us.

Quick question, after the Doc gets his cut off the reimbursement rate, what should you make?

Typically 1/2 --> 2/3 of the CMS/Insurance reimbursement for EACH encounter... otherwise... why bother...??

Think about it this way...

It costs ~ $4500/yr to insure you to see these patients. So making less than $35,000 seeing them seems like a incredible waste of time... and a unecessary liability burden... TO ME.

YMMV

Archived