Yikes! A few general questions about university

I apologise in advance if this is in the wrong place. I'm a little confused at the moment and could use advice.

I went to school overseas, have been in the US for a little over a decade. Aside from the training I did for EMT stuff (which was through fire departments) I have not been to school here. I'm not familiar with the system at all.

Last year when I finally worked up the courage to get this process started, I talked to a couple of universities and the one that was the most helpful is the one that I actually applied to. The deadline for the undergraduate Spring Semester applications was December 1st 2015. I didn't sit my ACT until December 1st, once I got my results back just before Christmas I submitted the application, completely expecting to be admitted for the Summer Semester. I got an admission letter with "Spring" stated on it on January 8th. Spring Semester was supposed to start January 19th. I didn't receive anything else. I assumed I would get a packet with instructions, etc. Especially since I saw on social platforms people that will be Freshmen as well showing packets off. 

Because I elected the Pre-PA path, I was assigned an advisor, who I met with actually on the 19th oddly enough. We discussed my plans, the major I wanted, etc. I declared a major, he gave me a list of classes to enroll in. Said wait a week and go from there. It did not occur to me to ask if I was supposed to enroll yet, as I was mistakenly thinking that I missed the cutoff ergo not starting yet.

I emailed the advisor and asked specifically when I was supposed to enroll, he directed me to Admissions. Admissions said I was admitted for the Spring Semester and that if I wanted to change my semester start to let them know soon. I emailed my advisor because I'm ok with starting now, but technically being a week (Ish - most of last week the campus was shut down due to adverse weather) I don't want to be too far behind.

So, if you were in my shoes, would you start now if you could, or would you wait until the Summer Semester start date? 

Second - I sat the GED and ACT within about a month of each other last year. I do not think the scores are all that great, but the advisor stated I got "an above average result compared to most of the scores seen here" and I gathered he was just being nice. I got an email from the ACT today stating something along those lines and inviting me to something called STEM Premier. From what I can tell it is some kind of networking platform though I'm not sure. Has anyone else heard of this? 

Thank you for your patience with me! 

Hi AlmostaTexan

Few thoughts for you.  1)  If you're accepted to a university, your GED and ACT scores won't matter anymore.   2) As far as starting now and missing the first week of classes, it really depends on the professor and the class itself.  Many schools will require you to get permission from the individual professor to enter a class late. Especially with you being new to the American education system, perhaps look at just taking 1 or a max of 2 classes this semester.   This way you'll have more time to catch up what you missed the first week, and just get used to the flow of the school

Archived