Increase pay in lieu of benefits ?

Hi all -

I have been offered a contract by one of the nation's large EM staffing firms, $60/hr or $75/hr night shifts.   PRN work to start.  I am currently working outpatient primary care.  I have spoken with the other PAs in the ED there and everyone gets the same pay, regardless of experience, but they get benefits.  It's unclear to me yet, but I don't believe I will get benefits PRN.  Is it normal and common to get bennies in PRN work? or not common?  One PA was encouraging me to ask for more money in lieu of benefits since I probably won't be getting benefits working PRN, and I'm inclined to agree.   So I am wondering is it normal to expect more pay in lieu of benefits for per diem work in an ED (or other clinical settings too for that matter)?

It is reasonable to ask for a higher rate per hour since you will not have benefits.  I have never heard of a prn position that had benefits.  I have negotiated a higher salary due to declining health insurance benefits, so I think you should at least ask.  I agree with above, ask if you are 1099 vs W2, if 1099 you really need to ask for a higher rate as you will owe more in taxes.

Archived