Are longer PA programs better than shorter ones?

Here in Texas the programs range from 24-34 months. Just wondering why exactly some programs are so much longer. Longer holiday breaks? Classes more spread out? I'm thinking about doing an EM residency so I would want to start that as soon as I can; just not sure if I get accepted into a more "prestigious" PA program if I should go there or one that is shorter but less "prestigious". Thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate it. 

It varies by program for many reasons.  Some may have longer breaks but from what I can tell, often longer programs means a longer clinical year with either longer rotations or more elective rotations.  You'd really have to look at the curriculum for the programs you are considering to see where the length comes from.  24 months is the shortest program I've seen and I think the average is 27-28 months or something.  The difference between 24 and 27/28 is negligible in my mind.  24 vs 34 is essentially an extra year and unless the program is promoted as a 3 year program (Colorado does this and has beneficial reasons, IMO) I can't imagine 10 extra months when I could do the same thing in less time. It's all personal preference but I wouldn't pick a program with length as a serious deciding factor (PANCE pass, availability of rotations, etc are much more important).

some programs spread the material out more, which is nice. others have a more significant research component, which is not ideal if you are training a clinician as opposed to an academic researcher...some of the dual PA/MPH programs are also longer as they cover more material. If you have any interest in public health, a PA/MPH program is a nice option. also makes it easier to continue on to a doctoral program in public health (DrPH) if you so desire.

I took a look at the curriculum and it seems to be mostly longer clinical times. Some program's didactic year include more classes. Assuming PANCE rates, rotation quality, etc. between 2 schools are equal, would more rotations and classes significantly make me a better PA coming out of school?  Or would working an actual job sooner help me become a good PA faster? 

Kwame E, UNT has more of a summer break (only 8 hours of classes while other schools I looked at have 18-20). Also they seem to take more classes before clinicals. Clinicals themselves are only 48 hours which doesn't seem to be that much longer than others.

Archived