Questions regarding admission to a PA program

I've never been on a forum like this before but I was wondering if someone could give me some advice regarding admission to a PA program. I just took gen chem 1 with lab and I recieved a C in the lecture portion and a B in the lab. That being said, should I retake the lecture part? For a better grade? This was my first C and will definitely be my last but again, i'm a little worried I might not get accepted with a C in such an important class. I have A's and B's in all my other classes and I also have a strong letter of rec from a physician that's very well known at the school I'm going to apply to... Anyone with past experience regarding grades and admissions... ? It would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for the time! 

^Disciple3 has a point. Determine what the prerequisite requirements are for the program you will be applying to. I had 2 C+'s on my transcript and was accepted to more than 1 PA program. However, some programs may require a minimum grade for a specific pre-req. However those were in my sophomore year of college and then my junior and senior years I had like a 3.8 for those two years (some programs will weigh heavily on your last 60 credits). I think starting with the programs website and pre-req requirements is a good place to start though. 

The program I plan on applying to isn't very specific. They give a list of required courses but as far as the grade requirements, it just says must be a C (2.0) or better so i'm up in arms. I'm in my second semester so I think i'll contact the school and ask them. Holly_Diana, would you be willing to tell me what classes were a C+? Did they mention anything about it when you applied? Thank you!!

They did not mention anything about it when I interviewed at programs. I graduated high school a year early and so was in college shortly after I turned 17 so it was a big adjustment for me to get accustomed to the classes and the increased coursework compared to high school. The classes were Genetics and Cell Biology. The remainder of my upper division science courses like Anatomy with the lab, Organic Chemistry 1 & 2 with the labs, Biochemistry, Physics 1 & 2 with the labs, Behavioral Genetics, and Microbiology I received A's in. 

Grades are important to get into a program but I had a few semesters that were all upper division science courses that I got straight A's in which I believe showed programs my improvement.

I got a C in my 1st semester of organic chemistry (dont get me started...) and was accepted into multiple PA programs. Make sure this C is the exception - do well in the rest of your science courses and gets LOTS of patient experience and you'll have a good shot. Good luck!

Archived