Another "can I get in" post!

Ok, I know there are so many " My gpa is low, can I get in posts?" but I feel mine is different since it was so long ago! :)

So I have an undergrad degree from 2000 with a GPA of 2.3. Looking back, it's embarrassing! 

I went back to Rad Tech school and graduated with a 3.8. That program was 72 credit hours. I've been a CT Tech in a Level 1 Trauma Center for 11 years, which is great experience.

I'm starting my pre req's in January, which will take me about a year and a half. 

I hear that the most recent 60 hours of a GPA is mostly looked at. Will my higher GPA counteract my crappy GPA from 15 years ago?

I feel it will be ok due to my maturity and work experience, but it's always in the back of my mind that my old GPA will haunt me forever!

I know there are so many other factors to get into PA school, but I don't want my GPA to automatically eliminate me.

No, it's all worth the same in terms of GPA calculations. Lots of schools will consider your upward trajectory and will put emphasis on recent work, however, if you don't meet their minimum GPA standards, they'll never look at it in the first place. Look for schools with different minimum GPAs -- I think there are some 2.75 as the min.

No, it's all worth the same in terms of GPA calculations. Lots of schools will consider your upward trajectory and will put emphasis on recent work, however, if you don't meet their minimum GPA standards, they'll never look at it in the first place. Look for schools with different minimum GPAs -- I think there are some 2.75 as the min.

Yeah, that's a bummer. If I calculated correctly, my community college grades plus  undergrad plus Rad Tech gives me a 3.1. I guess I better ace my pre-req's!

I forgot my freshman/sophomore GPA is better than my total undergrad GPA. Hopefully it'll all add up to be somewhat decent. I am nowhere near the person I was back then!

Go to the CASPA website with your transcript in front of you and calculate your GPA the way they do.

Your rad tech GPA will most likely be considered post bacc, however I don't know if those classes will be factored into your science GPA.

Do well in your pre-reps and the GRE and shadow some PAs if you haven't.

With 11 years of clinical experience you'll have no issue getting in IMO. The PA profession was made for people like you, healthcare workers who want a larger scope of practice w/o having to do med school + residency.

Good luck!

Your biggest issue will be if/when you GPA automatically filters you out of the initial round of evaluation.  The notion that the last 60 credits matter most is inaccurate for a lot of programs.  Few actually take the time to calculate your last 45-60 GPA credits - it's a lot of work for them.  So unless your CASPA GPA (because how CASPA calculates it is what really matters) is above a 3.0, you will have to selectively apply.  

With schools getting increasing numbers of apps, there has to be an initial filter and GPA is usually it.

Don't just blindly raise your GPA without talking to a school. If it's been 15 years and you have 11 years of experience, you might be viewed differently. The only relatively surefire way to find out is to visit a school and talk to them.

I wouldn't design my life around what a web page says or doesn't say without talking to a human being. Might save a lot of heartache and/or wasted effort.

^ Classic username, and I agree. Push come to shove you could see if the school you're now doing your pre-reqs through offers a general studies degree. Usually you can graduate those programs at 90 hours, and put it in there as a second B.S. If I do not get accepted this round I will just have to bite the bullet, and retake a couple pre-reqs (O Chem, and probably my Bio and A&Ps if they time out). I have roughly 5 years of healthcare experience myself at close to 10,000 hours, and I will also finish a science based Masters this Spring with a GPA of 3.8 assuming I ace the upcoming semester. Good luck to you!

Archived