Marketing Advice

So . . . I'm at my 7th month mark of opening my headache clinic. My schedule has been full and booked out about 3-4 weeks almost since opening day. As planned, at this juncture I want to start adjusting my payer mix, towards mostly private insurers. Right now, my spread among the poor payers, Medicaid, Medicare, Tricare etc. is too high and to create a more comfortable margins between income and expenses, this must be adjusted. It was part of my business plan to include all insurers during the first phase.

I've done quite a bit in the marketing area. I won't go into details. But, as primary care providers, what could someone like me do, to make it more likely that you would refer your headache patient to me? Think deeply about this. Creative, effective and low-cost ideas would be great. Thanks in advance.

• 2 months later...

Hey there. I work at an outpatient Vascular ultrasound clinic and have to get referrals from family practices. There are now a total of 4 other labs in our small town (100,000 population), and we have to compete with them to get pts. I'm just a lowly Vascular Tech but I can tell you what we have to do. Every couple of months we go to a good number of physicians offices and personally hand the referral coordinator/nurses our referral pads, tell them hi, sometimes bring them pens with our name and candy. "Hi there, I'm Justin, I work at the vascular lab, here's some more referral pads, thanks for your referrals!" In some cases we set up meeting with the referral person and tell them who we are and why they would refer to us and not someone else...i.e locally owned, same day appointments, wet reads right away. In my experience most doctors don't care where their pts go, they just want them to go get an ultrasound done. Having your referral pads on the top of the heap seems to do the trick with us. We don't do any advertising.

Not sure it would be the same with your headache clinic but there you go GOOD LUCK and thanks for paving the way!

Archived