Advice?

Hello, my name is Dustin and I'm a junior at Eastern Kentucky University. I have just currently changed my major from Nursing to Occupational science. I really did not like Nursing at all. My GPA is a 3.46. While my science GPA is around a 3.2. Besides getting more patient care hours and keeping my GPA up what other advice do you have for me? Most if, not all my preqs for most PA schools are complete. I received a D in General Chemistry II which I am retaking in the Spring. Other than that most my other grades are As and Bs with 1 C currently.

Hey there!

At this point your grades are pretty static. They won't change much and there's little you can do about them. What you can do is focus heavily on getting quality HCE, writing your narrative, and preparing for your interview.

I think shadowing is a great idea if you don't know much about the skill set and responsibility of PAs. Hopefully your healthcare job will put you in a place where you can work side by side with PAs. If not, shadowing should suffice.

I can't stress this enough: applicants need to put more time into racking up HCE hours, polishing their narratives, and interview preparation. You're on the right track!

Good luck to you!

• 7 months later...

Definitely get HCE experience. Paid and unpaid. Maybe get a job as a CNA or EMT and volunteer at the hospital on your days off. Also maybe volunteer once a week at an animal shelter or something to show you are well rounded. Also, if you get your EMT you may be able to volunteer at a fire dept to rack up hours on your days off. Additionally, join a club or two at your campus (and definitely try to get a leadership position in the club). Additionally, shadow a PA and maybe a few other professions that may interest you. That way you can say at the interview you are sure PA is right for you because you shadowed other professions that interest you and feel like becoming a PA is the right choice for you (also a good way to explain not finishing your nursing education). Lastly, maybe take a few classes that will give you a competitive edge in if you get a good grade. For instance, UF says classes such as immunology, abnormal psychology, epidemiology, ect will give you a competive edge.

Archived