Cost of living in Hempstead

I was curious if current, past, or future students had any ideas about how to live relatively cheap, and safely in the area during school. I'd imagine finding a larger place and getting PA student roommates is probably the best bet, but I have no idea exactly where to search. Is it cheaper to live further out and commute by train/car everyday? Any help is appreciated.

So living in Hempstead is something I would stay away from, along with Uniondale. It's not the safest place to live and there are towns about 15 min car rides from Hofstra much safer like lynbrook, valley stream, paets of south or west Hempstead, but definitely not Hempstead. Would recommend having a car because there are no nearby train stations. Even if you have to commute 15 minutes or so would be better than living in Hempstead or Uniondale. Just my advice!

So living in Hempstead is something I would stay away from, along with Uniondale. It's not the safest place to live and there are towns about 15 min car rides from Hofstra much safer like lynbrook, valley stream, paets of south or west Hempstead, but definitely not Hempstead. Would recommend having a car because there are no nearby train stations. Even if you have to commute 15 minutes or so would be better than living in Hempstead or Uniondale. Just my advice!

I would second staying away from Hempstead. Lived in West Hempstead during my second year of PA school (Stony Brook) and was able to share a house with a bunch of classmates I'm a nice neighborhood at a reasonable price; might be a good place to start.

West Hempstead to Stony Brook is a long drive.

OP, Garden City and Levittown are good too.

Agreed, but 95% of my clinical rotations were in Queens or Nassau County so it worked really well. Only went back to Stony Brook once or twice a month.

Yeah, I hear ya. I lived in Suffolk (with my parents) and many of my rotations were in Nassau. I also had one in Brooklyn. I just took the LIRR and subway everyday to get to the one in Brooklyn. It sucked, but it's not forever.

The only reason that I stayed in Suffolk was because I was getting free room and board. But your situation definitely makes sense.

Archived