What do you say to someone like this?

Hey Quirky!

Its Joe from class, how the heck are ya anyway...

Regarding your post, I think its a hospital thing. I am in private practice and the NP's I run into are ususally FNPs referring me a patient and they are great! in one of my side jobs, There are TWO lead clinicians Me and a NP. She is awesome too and has a great attitude. I just think that RN/NP is just butt hurt....you did say she doesnt practice as a NP so in effect she is NOT a NP at your job.

Anyhoo, PM or email me to catch up!

Joe

Right, buddy. When was the last time you actually saw an NP out there practicing on their own? Never! I have been at this game a while and I have yet to see an NP out there on his or her own. I agree with you, I work Emergency Medicine so there is no benefit to me wanting to work "independently." and like you, this guy is nicer than I am because I would have torn her apart on the scene. And then trickled orders to her over a long period of time.

Quirkymedic, where in California are you working? I'm working EM and my patient population is exclusively medi-cal (read welfare) or crack heads. You expect low pay as a new graduate, but I worked at a place in Antioch where the new hire RNs were making more than the PAs that had been there for a few years. It was a pretty crappy situation. But like EMEDPA, get in with the right group, get some experience under your belt and you make more money, kick more into retirement accounts etc.

As far as the NP thing goes, I work with a guy who is a duel NP/PA. Was an NP first and went to PA school! this guy took on additional loans to get out of a profession that was forcing him to work as a charge nurse and not a provider. He wanted to be making the diagnosis and he couldn't get hired as an NP. And we get along amazingly well. In fact, with most NPs that I know, we have a very collegial relationship. There is the occasional light spirited ribbing or teasing, but we work as a collective. I do better, the group does better. I see more patients, we all make more money. Not a lot of people are too concerned with the title when there are not egos involved. Which it sounds like is the problem with that particular NP. Sounds like she needs her ego stroked a bit. I see this argument becoming more and more prominent with the NPs coming out of their education track with a doctoral degree. If somebody takes offense to being called a mid-level provider, if they don't like it, go to medical school. We all had a choice when we went to school, nobody picked that profession for you.

You're probably a lot nicer than I am and it all depends on which day that person made those comments on. If it was at 6pm as I'm getting overwhelmed with non stop fever babies, I would probably say something like "yeah, that's fantastic, when your done blabbing about being too awesome to be an level provider, I ORDERED a fleet enema on the kid in room 20, so let me know when that's done, okay?" I don't know, man, I tend to get pretty friggin confrontational when somebody that is supposed to be so amazingly educated and intelligent makes such an ignorant and bold statement. Next time she runs that mouth you could always say "hey, my credentialing packet is up for periodic review, is it okay if I put you down as my medical director or supervisor, you know, because you can work independently and all that??? no???? I guess maybe you should be quiet and get back to work wiping asses." But that's just me. I tend to meet passive aggressive behavior with flat out aggressive behavior. I won't let anybody besmirch my profession or my colleagues.

Archived