Keeping on keeping on!

Hello everyone,

This is my second time applying to PA schools, last year I was rejected from 5 schools, no interviews. This year I applied to 14 and have received 7 rejections already. I am still waiting on the last 7 schools. I have ~3 years of HCE, a 4.0 in the past 50 semester hours of post-bacc classes and pre-req's (some repeats), but my undergrad GPA is weak (3.0). I have been working to gain patient contact experience to increase my chances of getting in, and repeating classes to get better grades in them. Since I have to work to be able to afford classes, I can only take 2 at a time. Now I am finding that some schools do not accept courses taken over 7 years ago, so I am also going to have to repeat these classes. Has anyone else had this problem? I feel like I am entering an endless cycle of taking and repeating classes just to meet requirements, and now I will have to repeat the GRE (for a third time) if I do not get in this year since it was more than 5 years ago. Does anyone have any advice? I am starting to wonder if I should just go back for another bachelor's degree and start all over again... For now I will keep on keeping on...

Thanks Jess!! You are right- positivity is key!! Good luck with your apps when you apply! @wutthechris- i was expecting that response! i perfected my personal statement (at least I think!) and had multiple reviewers- my LOR's were excellent- I read two of them and was amazed at how wonderfully they were written, if anything gets me in it will be the LOR's. I knew that I needed to strengthen my app as much as possible with the statement and letters, since the undergrad GPA was not great!

Well the program i was in certain "core Pre=req and the GRE could not be more than 5 yrs old. You mentioned in 1 sentance that you had ~3yrs HCE experience but then in another you said you were working on direct pt care. Maybe that is your issue you don't have enough DIRECT pt care because that is what usually counts. Good Luck.

KimK, have you been offered interview this year or last prior to the rejections? if so, could your interview possibly be lacking?

...IMO, if PA is what you really want to be, do not establish a plan B. it also took me 2 years to get an acceptance, and i was also advised by family and friends to "look for a plan B," but, i knew that i needed to focus everything on my plan A which was becoming a PA.....and I am so glad that I did not give up or stray away from that.

do not lose hope. definitely try to get specific advice from programs that have rejected you and remember that even though some programs might reject you, others will accept you. each program looks for different things in applicants...

all the best to you!

KimK, have you been offered interview this year or last prior to the rejections? if so, could your interview possibly be lacking?

Hello everyone,

This is my second time applying to PA schools, last year I was rejected from 5 schools, no interviews. This year I applied to 14 and have received 7 rejections already. I am still waiting on the last 7 schools.

I'm not sure how you skipped over the first three sentences in the OP, lol.

KimK,

You sound like you're on the right path. I also was rejected my first round of applications. I would say definitely keep up the hard work, you sound very determined. My advice would be to focus in on a good 5 schools or so and make sure you have all the pre-reqs for those programs. Don't bother applying to programs that you haven't fulfilled everything for because it's not worth the application money. After you pick those 5 schools or so, call them and get the specifics on when they want those programs done (how many years ago can you have taken them, etc...). Also, if you're able to, go to some information sessions on the programs you're interested in if that is a possibility for you. I also worked and did pre-reqs, hard but definitely possible. I was rejected by all my schools my first round as well. Make sure AT LEAST one of your LORs is from a PA since it would make sense that if you're attempting to enter the PA profession an endorsement from a PA on your competence would hold great importance. Also, you mentioned that you had ~3 years of HCE. Most programs will have on their website what their ideas of "good" HCE experiences are. If you receive rejections, definitely call the schools to discuss your file and find out what you can do to improve your chances of being accepted. I did all of this and was just accepted to Hofstra. It is a long road but don't give up. I'd have to agree, don't make a plan B if this is your goal. Make plan A your sole focus and your hard will pay off, I guarantee you :)

What kind of experience is your HCE? Some schools are specific on what kind of HCE you should have.

Just keep trying! And it takes a couple trys to get in. I was fortunate to be accepted my first time applying (ill be attending school in the summer next year)!

Also, more shadowing time might be key too. Schools do like a solid amount of hours in shadowing.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Thanks for the good advice! I am sticking with Plan A :). My HCE is clinical coordinating- recruiting patients in orthopedic clinic for research studies and explaining the process of what they will be going through- the job also involves assisting the MA and the clinician with injection preparation and rooming patients. I also process clinical specimens from those research patients (blood, synovial fluid, etc.). I have also volunteered in developmental play at the Children's Institute in Pittsburgh, assisting the kids with their rehabilitation programs. I have ~45 hours of shadowing, but could always get more. I might need to work on the type of patient contact experience, since it may not be considered direct patient "care". It's encouraging to hear everyone's responses, and to hear that other applicants have gone through this too. Thanks so much and good luck to everyone!!

Kim,

That definitely does sound like a good experience, but as far as "hands on" it might not be what they're looking for. Again, check with each program and see what they consider "quality" patient care. You could even ask them about what you're doing to see where you stand. I am currently a CNA in a nursing home and have been doing that for about a year and a half. Getting your CNA is a quick course (about 4 weeks when I took it) and you become licensed. It's very good hands on experience and most all programs consider it "quality" experience, just to give you an idea of something that's pretty quick and easy to get some HCE :)

Thanks for the good advice! I am sticking with Plan A :). My HCE is clinical coordinating- recruiting patients in orthopedic clinic for research studies and explaining the process of what they will be going through- the job also involves assisting the MA and the clinician with injection preparation and rooming patients. I also process clinical specimens from those research patients (blood, synovial fluid, etc.). I have also volunteered in developmental play at the Children's Institute in Pittsburgh, assisting the kids with their rehabilitation programs. I have ~45 hours of shadowing, but could always get more. I might need to work on the type of patient contact experience, since it may not be considered direct patient "care". It's encouraging to hear everyone's responses, and to hear that other applicants have gone through this too. Thanks so much and good luck to everyone!!
This does not sound like DIRECT pt care. "Do you actually have to touch the pt?" To process specimens ...no. I think this might be your problem. Get a job as a MA, or CNA

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the good advice- I did get an interview invitation last week, right after I posted all of this! Hoping it goes well, and if not, I will be looking for a new job where I can get more hands on patient care! Still waiting to hear from 5 schools. Good luck to all.

Congrats, Kim! I hope your interview goes well! KNOCK 'EM DEAD! I hear you on getting rejections. I applied to 13 schools, have had 1 interview (still waiting to hear final decision), and 4 rejections... It cab\n be very frustrating/disappointing! Good luck! You sound like being a PA is really what you want, and that means you'll eventually get it! Persistance and positivity!

Archived