Medical Experience before applying to PA school?

I am 25 years old and just started my pre-reqs for my Bachelors in Biology to apply to PA school. However, I started in the dental field and now changed my mind to now become a PA. I know they recommend medical experience. What job do you recommend before applying to PA school? or volunteer work?

Thanks.

One of the best/most preferred and recommended one is EMT. Not only is it accepted as HCE, but you also get paid on the side :D

While in college, do part time so you can also focus on your studies, and if you get any breaks/vacations, maybe work some work, simultaneously increasing both HCE hours and the size of your wallet lol (but no really, HCE comes first, DO NOT let the prioritize your EMT position for bucks before experience).

Check with your local community colleges/fire departments or EMT courses institutions and get started. Its totally worth it.

P.S: Small advice, you can call the program of your choice and ask them what THEY consider the best form of HCE. It looks more favorable.

Good luck!

Edit: Definitely rake in some PA shadowing hours. They look great on your application.

I have been a critical care paramedic for over eight years full-time. I worked as an EMT for three years before that. EMS has given me so many different experiences with patients that I will have a strong foundation when I begin my PA program in January. I agree with AmirH, find an EMT course to take while you are still taking your college courses. Many places that offer EMT courses teach them usually twice to three times a week at night so you would be able to continue to take day classes for college. At least that is what I did. After I was done, I took the National Registry of EMT's Exam and then began working as an EMT on the ambulance. EMTs are also utilized in the emergency rooms of a lot of hospitals. Check around and see if any of your local hospitals hire EMT's as Techs in the ER. Either offer different experience that will be great to any pre-PA. Working in the ER as a tech will afford you the option to network with the physicians and PAs in the ER. When it comes time for letter of recommendations, you will have some great people to write for you. Working in the field as I have, will offer you the ability to critically think and challenge your education to treat critically ill patients. All of this is wonderful to have coming into PA school.

There are other jobs that you could do as well to gain HCE. Getting your CNA is also a good start. Some people coming into my class have been phlebotomists, Respiratory therapists, medical assistants, LPN, CNA, and Paramedics. Whichever you choose, strive to do as much as you can while in that job to expose yourself. I teach in just about every area of EMS (BLS, ACLS, PALS, PHTLS, PEPP, EMT, and Paramedic). Teaching is just as important in every job.

I agree that you should also shadow several PAs in different areas. This will expose you to what PAs do but also you will start to get a feel for what area you are interested in working when you are done. Hope this helps.

Good luck with your endeavors!

I had a Bachelor of Science in Biological Sciences. My GPA was less than steller, so my selling point was my HCE. I worked full-time nightshift while taking full-time day classes so Organic and Physics killed my GPA. Just goes to show you that HCE is very important in the decision process of adcoms.

Myself, and several of my classmates are currently enrolled in PA school with 3.0 sGPA. We worked full time, have families with kids, and did school the best we could while maintaining our lives. Our experience is how we got in. However...the school that we are in requires at least 4000 hours of direct patient care, so it is what the program was looking for.

Research your school(s) of choice, find out what the favor. Some programs LOVE 4.0 students, other programs LOVE seasoned, salty, well experienced allied health workers. Some schools want both. Find the program that fits you.

Thanks everyone for all your great advice!! I will take everything into consideration. 'Just Steve' I do work full time as a dental assistant and a single mother to a 5 year old, so as you said other people in your class have families as well, I don't feel so alone.

Myself, and several of my classmates are currently enrolled in PA school with 3.0 sGPA. We worked full time, have families with kids, and did school the best we could while maintaining our lives. Our experience is how we got in. However...the school that we are in requires at least 4000 hours of direct patient care, so it is what the program was looking for.

this is the way to do it in my opinion. lots of quality experience and reasonable grades. I have no problem accepting an applicant with a 3.0-3.3. I have a big problem with folks with minimal or low quality experience. they just make it harder for themselves, their preceptors, and their future employers.

I will take a medic/rn/rt with a 3.0 over someone with minimal or no experience and a 4.0 gpa every day of the week. my worst students ever have been high gpa/no experience. one even had a phd.

13 of the 26 students in my class have kids who are under 18. I think 11 of us have more than one. Average age for my program is also 36...sorta comes with the territory.

avg age in my class was 35. I was one of the youngest at 27( with 10 yrs of ems/er tech experience).

Hey Folks...I hope this isn't a redundant post! As to my background first... I am a 30 yr. old resident in Baltimore, MD. Attended Texas Tech Univ. with a BBA in Marketing. M.A. in Spiritual and Pastoral Care (not yet finished; getting this degree more for personal endeavors; this is also a degree focused on spiritual direction, hospital chaplaincy, et cetera...; non-licensure degree). US Navy Officer in the Chaplain Candidate Program 2005-2007. Worked in many fields to include my current profession as a police officer in D.C. with a main focus as a community resource liaison officer. To make this brief... I have very little when it comes to having a medical/science background. In fact, many of the pre-req's required for entry into a PA program, I do not have and will have to complete, along with HCE. However, I have always been guided by the principle of "Do what you love and love what you do". I have a passion for helping people in what ever capacity I can. I want to find a career and not just a job that can be fulfilling, honorable, and make an impact on someone's life. The career of being a physician assistant highly interests me, so much that I am now researching the field and finding the best route for me to take in finding out more about it. As this would be a career changing move, I feel like it would be too late, but I am a hard-charger in finding my passions in life. In any case, I want to get my "ducks in a row" before making any attempt at sending in applications. With the economic state of things, it would be difficult leave my current full-time job as a police officer for something brand new. What would be some good ideas to think about in "prodding" the idea of seeing if being a PA is something I would want to do as a fulfilling career? I have looked into Post-Bac program that would fulfill some of the required pre-req courses I would need. However, in terms of HCE, I need some guidance. Everything looks great on the outside about this field, but I don't make any hasty moves before knowing what it takes to excel in this career field. Doing the minimum is not my goal here. It's something I want to be passionate about if I am going to go for it.

Well, sorry to ramble, but any help or advice is much appreciated!

At the pa school down the street from me the average age is 24, the average gpa is >3.6, the average student is female, and the average hce experience is unpublished because they don't care. But they do like lots of shadowing and service... Thats the ticket to ride.

sounds like they produce avg students....not a "ride" I would shoot for...."when I grow up I want to be average!"

the "average" new grad from similar programs in my area is unemployed and volunteering full time while looking for work. I precept several of them at a local free clinic.

the "exceptional" students from the "better program" in the area all have jobs...and many had them before graduation....

shadowing and community service are nice but what really matters is HCE>GPA>letters of rec.>everything else....at least at any program worth attending....and that list, unfortunately, is getting smaller every yr....probably around 60 out of 160 programs out there....the rest are producing the weight loss clinic/cosmetic derm/insurance physical/occupational med/quickie mart pa's of the future....while grads of the better programs are taking all the good jobs out there....

I too am trying to expose myself to as much health care experience as I can. And have run into many dilemmas. I have extensive volunteer experience as well as shadowing both PA and physicians during my undergraduate career. I am applying to schools this upcoming 2012 for the 2013 year.

I graduated with my BS in May 2011 and worked full time over summer until moving to a new city. I received my CNA license as of August 2011 to be able to work directly with patients since about only 1/3 of my volutneering/shadowing has been direct patient care. I wanted to have a more hands on career in dealing with patients to really show that PA is what I want to do. It in the middle of Nov and I still am having trouble landing a position as a CNA where I am at. Most places are looking for CNAs with experience and as we all know the job market is not the best as it was. I've landed a couple of interviews but that seems to be a huge turn off for a lot of them. Due to financial reasons in my family I can no longer really wait any longer. In the meantime I am volunteering and shadowing my butt off but again nothing really hands on with patients being my responsibility. I know that the applications opening in 2012 is also coming up fast and my waiting on job opportunities for CNA has taken a lot of valuable time.

I just recently got a job offer medical related but again not patient care directly and I am thinking I need to take this position (it is a full time position). I am hoping to find a more hands on volunteering experience possibly after work and on the weekends.

Now my question is how will this look to PA program? Will the fact that I am working and need to work full time in a non-clinical setting and still trying to gain experience every chance I get be enough?

I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread, it's really giving me much more hope about the future! I was so worried about the gpa thing, but reading this really opened my eyes to the other important factors in becoming a PA.

I'm only 26 so I feel I'm in a decent position to finish the remainder of my undergraduate degree (BSN or Public Health, any thoughts on which?) without having to rush things. For awhile I was so concerned with working AND trying to take 3 required classes (ie. General Chem, Micro, and A&P 2), but now I'm not so worried. I think working full time as an ER Tech (plus Navy Corpsman training as a reservist) and taking two classes at a time will set me up much better for the future. I can work full time, make some good money, get some good HCE, and focus on doing well in courses at a time.

. I think working full time as an er tech (plus navy corpsman training as a reservist) and taking two classes at a time will set me up much better for the future. I can work full time, make some good money, get some good hce, and focus on doing well in courses at a time.

excellent plan!

keep in mind that some of the emt's on these boards are going to say that emt experience is the best. Take that with a grain of salt. It can be very good experience for sure, but there are many quality paths to take to get health care experience. In my area, emt-b's are rig jockeys that drive from nursing home to nursing home transferring patients in an ambulance, or picking up dialysis patients. That, to me, is not very good experience. Paramedic, yes, very good experience. The best? It is very arguable whether or not one could ever claim a singular "best" experience. If you want to go into e-med then maybe emt is the best way to go. But not all those skills translate "best" to all fields of practice. If you want to go into primary care, where you won't be dealing with much acuity, being an MA in a doctors office might be better experience. Pick a path that you will enjoy, and that seems to coincide with where you want to practice when you are done PA school.

Paramedic, yes, very good experience. The best? It is very arguable whether or not one could ever claim a singular "best" experience. If you want to go into e-med then maybe emt is the best way to go. But not all those skills translate "best" to all fields of practice. If you want to go into primary care, where you won't be dealing with much acuity, being an MA in a doctors office might be better experience. Pick a path that you will enjoy, and that seems to coincide with where you want to practice when you are done PA school.

agree.

common pathways:

medic to em

MA or LPN to primary care

RT to critical care

surg tech to surgery

ortho tech to ortho

Archived