What specialty is PA favored to avoid competition with NP

You should get into whatever specialty floats your boat and you feel like you will enjoy and not want to tear your hair out every day doing...forget what the NPs are doing and whether you'll be competing with them. You'll find NPs and PAs everywhere and most fields don't favor one over the other...though some SPs favor one over the other, but that's a personal pref. issue.

the above poster is right. But there are specialties more P.A. friendly so to speak, while others are NP dominated. I would think any of the surgical subspecialites would often welcome P.A.s with open arms, while we are still fighting for a presence in others- e.g. Neurology. Sadly, neuro is still very NP dominated and we have a lot of heavy lifting to do. Don't let this sway you one way or the other though. We gotta start somewhere and if you have an interest in something you should go for it.

EM is very pa friendly. in fact sempa(soc. of emergency medicine pa's) is allowed to send reps to committees of acep(american college of em physicians) and the president of acep has been keynote speaker for em pa conferences in the past and stated that pa's are the favored advanced practice clinicians in em.

Thanks guys.

I do like EM a lot and all the PA whom I used to shadow are in EM urgent care area. Great autonomy.

If I got an offer in EM, will take the offer in a heartbeat.

But the PAs said that they don't hire new graduate for EM worrying that they are not used to doing the suture and procedure fast enough... whatever.

So, where do I start to be able to get specialize in EM?Do I need a few years of experience in family practice to get in EM ?

No, you don't need a few years in FP to get to into EM. However (as you stated), some employers will except new grads and some will not. Although FP can (and some do), they generally don't do much in office procedures that would prepare you for procedural work in EM.

So, to keep my options open, any other specialty that's pre-dominantly PA beside EM? What about Orthopedic and Derm?

Honestly, no offense to anyone who used to be RN. My experience with NP and nursing staff in the hospital have not been great. Is that just me? They act like they know more than MD and never mind PA...they even question it and give the MD hard time sometimes when MD try to order some test.

I know it's the way of life is but I wish I don't have to deal with them too much if any specialty allows.

It is unfortunate that PA is considered the minority comparing to them. They have their union and all. Hope that will change. We have to stick together and be bigger than them one day...

Guest 8medical
So, to keep my options open, any other specialty that's pre-dominantly PA beside EM? What about Orthopedic and Derm?

Honestly, no offense to anyone who used to be RN. My experience with NP and nursing staff in the hospital have not been great. Is that just me? They act like they know more than MD and never mind PA...they even question it and give the MD hard time sometimes when MD try to order some test.

I know it's the way of life is but I wish I don't have to deal with them too much if any specialty allows.

It is unfortunate that PA is considered the minority comparing to them. They have their union and all. Hope that will change. We have to stick together and be bigger than them one day...

I am an RN and often times I have to get clarification with orders and not really question the physician order. The fact is the RN also has a license that they have to protect. Some physician that have good relationshipo with nurses depend on them to cover their back especially if they write an in correct order.

The PA's, NP's and MD's that have a hard with nurses are the ones that are cocky and believe that they are above everyone else.

Practicing medicine should be a partnership with the patient's best interest at the forefront at all times.

• 10 months later...

Orthopedics is a field that is very PA-friendly. There are PA's who work in derm, for sure; I do not know what the practice climate for NP's in derm is like.

I agree that most of the surgical areas are PA friendly as compared to NP friendly. I believe that is because there are no Surgical NP programs--they are Family NP, Adult NP, Acute Care NP, Pediatric NP, Neonatal NP, and NP midwives. I believe there are also Psych NP programs.

Archived