Advice for a new neuro PA fresh out of PA school!!!!

i'm a new neuro pa fresh out of pa school. it has been a good 2.5 months, but was just wondering if anybody could provide me some advice on practicing. neurology is not covered in depth in pa school, so i often feel lost or worried that i may be missing something. does anybody have any advice on how to conquer this feeling? i want to be a damn good neuro pa! any advice will be greatly appreciated! thanks!

I'm a neuro PA. I don't know of any tricks. I would suggest that you pick one or two areas to focus on the most and study your heart out. I have several great books. I have one book that this an excellent guide to epilepsy. My focus is headache with a secondary interest in epilepsy. I learned headache from working closely for six years with one of the top headache guys in the country, then another six years at the headache division at Mayo Clinic.

If you are anywhere near Seattle I would invite you come and shadow for a couple of days if you wanted just to get a taste.

• 1 year later...
Guest askyoulc

Hi Mssoccer612, I'm applying to PA school right now. I'm extremely interested in neurology, but it doesn't seem like many schools even offer a rotation unless maybe you arrange it yourself. You say you graduated as a "neuro PA". Did you do a few rotations through neurology or go to a program that did cover it somewhat? If so, where? Any suggestions are extremely appreciated. Thanks!

Just curious, what is the scope of practice for a neuro PA? what can/can't they do?

What can a neurologist do? Just like in any other specialty, depending on the situation, you can function like a neurologist or you can be more dependent where you do not see new patients but mostly follow ups.

I'm still in school but I'm very interested in Neuro currently. I'm curious what the typical PA program covers in terms of Neuro. Ours has a very intense 600-level Neuro course for 6 hours a week. I've been told that our school has much more Neuro preparation than most, but you never know what you can believe. I do feel like I'm learning an incredible amount about it though. Our program also has elective rotations so I could do one in Neuro and hopefully get myself a leg up there.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived