prolonged QT on EKG

Guest Shine-on

Guest Shine-on

just would like some feedback from those with long experience:o... What should be done if you happen to pick up a long QT on a routine screening EKG done in private practice office? The patient is in there 50's ...no chest pain issues...no syncopal episodes. The patient is on a medication for Depression that is associated with prolonged QT. Other than stopping the medication and switching to a better choice of med..... what other steps would you take??

Check lytes including mag and a TSH. If the prolongation resolves with drug cessation I would do nothing other then warn the patient about other medications that potentially prolong QT. If it does not then a cardiac consult may be in order. A lot depends on how long the prolongation is.

As above. Several antidepressants prolong QT, so switching agents may be tricky. Best is to hold it and recheck the ECG. Optimize lytes.

Congenital LQTS is a slim possibility at this age.

QT prolonging drugs- remembers the "Anti"s:

Antibiotics

Antipsychotics

Antidepressants

Antiarrhythmics

• 1 year later...

Yep, I'd avoid the drugs here http://www.qtdrugs.org/ . I'd ensure I did a very thorough family history for incidences of SCD. Also, any congenital deafness in the family? One type of congenital LQTS is associated with that. I'd also probably refer to EP for a look of the QT was markedly prolonged, just to cover yourself in case of an SCD episode. I could see the lawyers eating that up if you documented LQTS and didn't do a workup.

Pat

Archived