Do I have any chances?

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to get some advice on whether I have any changes on getting into the program or not. I am going to be graduating from FIU this December with a Bachelors in ART and a minor in Biology. My GPA is horrible (2.63)... =(

I was planning to take some of the pre-reqs next year as well as to get the certificate to become an EMT so i can get the experience. I know my chances are not that good based on what I have been reading but if there is anything I can do can you please let me know? for so long i have been trying to find a career that interests me, and I know this is it but i dont want to get my hopes up!

Thank you in advance.

Andrea.

• Administrator

Yes, you can get in to a PA program. Maybe not your first choice, almost certainly not this year, and it will take a LOT of hard work and dedication to get there, but the path is pretty simple:

1) Keep taking relevant classes with a 4.0

2) Keep racking up as many direct, paid, certified, patient contact hours as possible while doing #1.

Do you want to be a PA so bad that you're willing to dedicate a few years to preparing yourself for school? That's the real question, I think. There are people who've overcome worse GPAs than yours and are now practicing PAs, but they're pretty driven individuals. The path is open, but non-trivially difficult, for you to join their numbers.

<------ 2.7 undergrad GPA. It took 2.5 years taking prerequisites making a 3.85 full time and 20 years as a military medic for experience to convince one out of four programs I applied to to accept me in 2005. Yes, it can be done, but can you afford the sacrifice in time and money to get it done?

Archived