USDA.gov "MyPlate" replaces Food Pyramid

The USDA has scrapped the old Food Pyramid for "MyPlate"

They've cut Fats/Oils from the scene completely, and emphasize variety without putting the recommended serving amounts that we all remember.

Also suggests that half your plate should be fruits/vegetables, water over sugary drinks, lean meats for protein, and low fat or fat free milk.

Thoughts?

Hi! I've been a dietitian/diabetes educator/personal trainer for (gasp) 20 years. Now waiting to see if I have been accepted for PA school. The thoughts behind this model is that people of all ages/backgrounds/cultures etc can better relate to a picture of this sort than the old pyramid. Honestly I have preached personal responsibility and led by personal example my entire life (am 42 years) but still cannot change behavior of people and I have had it. Of the thousands of patients I have worked with over the years I can only think of a handful that truely make significant lifestyle changes (read: sacrifices) to lose weight. I going to be an orthopedic PA to help athletes (and others) get back into the game of life (activity) by assisting in fixing their knees, hips, etc....

Nothing is wrong with dairy- for calves. There is good research out there that supports the fact that human consumption of dairy is not healthy. There are great alternatives to dairy products, but the USDA does not ever mention those. But, the USDA is not a public health entity- it is an agricultural support entity. So, why are they making the recommendations for what we eat again? I wish they had just left that off of the plate. Technically, most dairy can fall under the protein section anyway. A nice glass of water would have made for a healthier picture! But, I probably shouldn't have even mentioned it- this is a vast improvement over the pyramid in my opinion because it leaves no room for excess fats and sugar. I think most people grossly overestimate how to use those "sparingly" as the old version suggested. And if you are eating your cheese sparingly I am sure you can stay healthy too :wink:.

I agree with wca..lose the milk. I would also like to see the grains section go. I am a dietitian, like swimbikerun, and I have found that my ideas on the right way to eat are a bit more progressive than most of my peers. Hence, seeking the career change :) There's really no perfect way to depict all the important concepts in a picture that simple. Someone may look at that and choose a high-fat grain-fed cut of meat, a big ol' pile of creamy mashed potatoes out of a box (trust me, most people will put potatoes in the vegetable category), fruit...(i guess it's hard to mess up a piece of fruit...maybe those sugary-cinnamon apples), and a buttery dinner roll. Oh, and wash it all down with a big glass of whole milk. Wait, make that chocolate milk! The public struggles to categorize mixed foods like pizza or lasagna, too. I might sound a little cynical, but it really is depressing to see how America eats. This picture just doesn't give anyone the tools they need to make the right choices! I wish I could help everyone realize that food is still awesome, even if it didn't come out of a box, a can, a jar, or a bag. Let's eat REAL food again, and have some respect for your pancreas..cut down on the carbs!

Just my little soapbox of the day. Take it or leave it :wink:

My take is, as was already suggested, these recommendations are made in sponsorship of the ag industry. The feed cattle and dairy industry had a strong hand in developing the initial federal dietary suggestions years ago.

It would be nice to see an inclusion of WATER as well, which is a great idea. If your calcium and dietary fat intake is acceptable you don't need cow's milk

jmpeterson- I agree I wish more people would eat real food again, but all grains are not bad. Brown grains in their natural forms are healthy and have plenty of fiber to slow down carb breakdown, thus not overworking the pancreas. But, I agree that the plate is not useful for mixed meals and not terribly helpful if people always equate protein with fatty meat and vegetables with potatoes (or corn :rolleyes:). HAHA you can ruin fruit be packing it in a can with syrup!

Contratian- LOL! I suppose if you still want to suckle some human milk from its original packaging then your point has some merit. I'd like to see you trying to convince a grown woman to go along with that plan though!

... I'd like to see you trying to convince a grown woman to go along with that plan though!

Prior to getting married... "convincing" grown women to do just about anything... twas NOT an issue... :wink:

As for the "MyPlate" initiative... "KISS"... the simpler the better as the old pyramid obviously wasn't working

There is some interesting research out there about whole grains being more harmful than helpful. You can get plenty of fiber from fruits and vegetables. I was not quick to jump on the "gluten-free" bandwagon, but I'll admit that I did try it for a solid 6 months and noticed an improvement in how I felt, especially right after meals (no more of those afternoon naps!). I went a step further and removed ALL starchy foods, including rice, corn, beans. I did still include potatoes and sweet potatoes if I had a tough workout that day. It's tough to eat that way though...not practical for most people.

jmpeterson- Yeah I wasn't necessarily thinking of wheat. I am allergic to it, so I use brown rice, quinoa, millet, oats, etc. I don't eat barley, so I guess the only gluten I get is from cross-contamination with oats. But, I don't have gluten sensitivity/Celiac, I just have a wheat allergy that seems to flare up more when my seasonal allergies are present. I eat a whole foods, plant-based diet (with the occasional egg from our backyard chickens), and feel better than I ever have before. I've lost about 30 lbs and only have 15 to go. But, this probably isn't practical for most people either. I would like it if the healthcare community could just find a way to convince people to stop eating processed foods/fast foods as a start. I'd rather see someone cook some fatty meat and eat it with fresh corn and potatoes (less than ideal) than swing through the drive through or fix hamburger helper from a box. At least if they fix it themselves, it will have less sodium, chemicals, and fat, and more fiber than than the alternatives. Have you read "The China Study" or seen "Forks over Knives"? I'd be interested to hear your perspective on either one since you are a dietician. Do you have any links to the grain research? I know I feel better if I only eat grains moderately, so I'd be interested to read up on that. No worries if not- I know of a few sites to search.

Contrarian- hmmm....maybe I should have worded that differently. Let me try again- I'd like to see you convince a grown, lactating woman that you, as an adult, need her milk on a regular basis. :;;D:.

If humans don't/didn't need dairy...

Why did our designer ensure that the body could produce it...and dispense it from a mouth friendly container... ????

Human breast milk- great for nursing infants, good support in evidence when compared to formula

Adults- all nutritional components of cow's milk can be obtained elsewhere. As far as I know we are the only species that drinks the milk of another (?)....

Human breast milk- great for nursing infants, good support in evidence when compared to formula

Adults- all nutritional components of cow's milk can be obtained elsewhere. ....

Yeah I knew that... but was simply challenging the notion above that we need NO milk (?ever?).

As far as I know we are the only species that drinks the milk of another (?)....

I likes mine chocolate and strawberry flavored...:;;D:

Sorry for the late reply, I've been traveling. Here is one article that I was able to find on my work computer. I know there are several more at home in DropBox but I'm not sure if I can link to those?

http://thepaleodiet.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Cerealgrainhumanitydoublesword.pdf

I would recommend starting to read on page 24 and beyond. The first 23 pages are just about grain-based diets and potential vitamin/mineral deficiencies. Page 24 starts talking about anti-nutrients and then it goes into autoimmune diseases caused (potentially) by cereal grains on page 29.

Archived