Smoking Protocols

Nahhh...

Burnt wood/lumber smells NOTHING like burnt tobacco.

If the "smoking po-leece" can't differentiate between the two, there's likely been an infarct that damaged CN-I.

Well, of course, but I did feel it necessary to differentiate for those out there who work with lumber (wood) in their homes.

Don't you agree, Andersen? :D

Our hospital adopted a smoke free campus in 2004. As a respiratory therapist, I usually watched my colleagues walk across the street to smoke with the patients. RTs standing with people who were pushing their IV pumps was ridiculous. Now the policy is coming into play which states staff who smell like tobacco smoke will be either fired or sent home. All properties around the hospital have posted no trespassing signs, so there is no place for them to stand. I used to joke that others smoking didn't bother me, it was job security for Respiratory Therapists. What did bother me was staff leaving hospital grounds to smoke while the non-smokers worked without multiple 10 minutes breaks throughout the day. I am all for a smoke free, smoker free hospital. No COPD patient wants to smell tobacco while being treated by member of hospital staff, much less anyone else.

We fire up the green egg on Thursdays, so smoke can be seen in the morning. I have many Pts that smoke, and most can't quit. Has anyone offered scopolamine injections? We did a stop smoking clinic a few years ago. They got scopolamine, phenergan, and xanax.

Haven't tried your first two, but I always offer a nice pillow of benzos with their chantix. I've had great success, even with people you wouldn't expect to actually try.

Archived