What do you hope for the future of the PA profession?

You are working towards (hopefully) dedicating career to the PA profession, now what do you hope to gain and or contribute to it? Where do you see the profession going/ Where do you want it to go? Does the name change matter to you? This question has been posed many times before but I've never heard the pre-PA perspective before.

Between exams in med school Hell Week...but off the top of my head--

1. For entry-level PAs within the next 15 yr, all PA programs will be housed within or sponsored by Schools of Medicine. We will NOT be under the false umbrella of Allied Health. A"stem cell" model for entry-level (no prior experience/certification) will be adopted to streamline the process of medical education and conserve resources. Waste in education and redundancy will be significantly reduced. PA students and med students will learn together at EVERY program using this model--"train them up in the way you want them to go...". We will retain the best of PA education (early clinical exposure, outstanding communication and H&P skills, broad-based general medical education) and add back basic science that most PAs don't get now but med students do. Med students will hit clinical rotations with better physical dx skills and PA students will know more of the HOW and WHY, not just the WHAT.

2. After a period of formation (3 yr?) students will have the option to "get off the ship", take PANCE, get a license and go to work as PAs.

3. Those who wish to continue and become physicians finish 4th yr med school and internship/residency. Medical education courses are mandatory in all residency programs to train the next generation of teachers.

4. PAs who find themselves wanting to "jump back on the ship" can do so seamlessly by applying to a hybrid bridge/residency program (really shooting from the hip here...) and will do so without an MCAT or extra courses as they have already gone thru the "stem cell" process. PANCE or PANRE will substitute for the pesky and dubiously relevant MCAT.

5. A mechanism will remain in place for other trained and certified/licensed health care providers (medics, nurses, RTs, PTs etc.) to enter a traditional PA program. They may have to do the extra courses/prereqs (genetics, Biochem, cell bio, embryo/Histo) if they later choose to "bridge" to physician education,

6. This revolution will be led by a group of PA-physicians who know both sides of the education model and can advocate for effective and meaningful change.

;)

Back to class...later ;)

L.

Between exams in med school Hell Week...but off the top of my head--

1. For entry-level PAs within the next 15 yr, all PA programs will be housed within or sponsored by Schools of Medicine. We will NOT be under the false umbrella of Allied Health. A"stem cell" model for entry-level (no prior experience/certification) will be adopted to streamline the process of medical education and conserve resources. Waste in education and redundancy will be significantly reduced. PA students and med students will learn together at EVERY program using this model--"train them up in the way you want them to go...". We will retain the best of PA education (early clinical exposure, outstanding communication and H&P skills, broad-based general medical education) and add back basic science that most PAs don't get now but med students do. Med students will hit clinical rotations with better physical dx skills and PA students will know more of the HOW and WHY, not just the WHAT.

2. After a period of formation (3 yr?) students will have the option to "get off the ship", take PANCE, get a license and go to work as PAs.

3. Those who wish to continue and become physicians finish 4th yr med school and internship/residency. Medical education courses are mandatory in all residency programs to train the next generation of teachers.

4. PAs who find themselves wanting to "jump back on the ship" can do so seamlessly by applying to a hybrid bridge/residency program (really shooting from the hip here...) and will do so without an MCAT or extra courses as they have already gone thru the "stem cell" process. PANCE or PANRE will substitute for the pesky and dubiously relevant MCAT.

5. A mechanism will remain in place for other trained and certified/licensed health care providers (medics, nurses, RTs, PTs etc.) to enter a traditional PA program. They may have to do the extra courses/prereqs (genetics, Biochem, cell bio, embryo/Histo) if they later choose to "bridge" to physician education,

6. This revolution will be led by a group of PA-physicians who know both sides of the education model and can advocate for effective and meaningful change.

;)

Back to class...later ;)

L.

Forward I look, discussing with you Jedi L. Face to face hope I. lol

Yep. Primadonna pretty much nailed it... Personally, I cannot support the continued degree creep happening to the profession without an eventual bridge program. There are differing ideas on how it should go, but I believe many would like to see one. I think one good way to get that ball rolling would be to start it as a means to fill the void of primary care MD's. Letting PA's bridge who agree to go into Family Practice, Pediatrics, or Internal Medicine might have a better chance of success since not very many MD's out of med school want to go there. Then once that is seen as a success, maybe it would be opened up to other specialties, & the learning of both MD's & PA's would occur along the lines that Primadonna laid out.

I've always thought that there should be some mechanism in healthcare where you could build upon what you have already learned to take things to the next level.

Archived