CASPA GPA Calculations and Chances of Admission Now or Future....

I am posting this because I've been feeling quite upset about my application status at the moment.

I graduated college in 2006 with a BA in Linguistics, 2.89 GPA. The low GPA was mostly due to low Bio and Chem (2 C-, 2 D+) courses my freshman year (2002-2003), and a few other C's here and there. My school utilized +/- system and it was very difficult to obtain an A (4.0), so most of my higher level coursework during my junior/senior year were A-,B+ etc. It was not enough to pull up the lower grades.

I made the decision that I wanted to attend PA school several years ago, and have been pursuing post-baccalaureate coursework since June 2010. I've completed 43 credits (both repeated ALL low grades in bio/chem and completing prerequisites for various programs). I have a 3.7 GPA for these last 43 credits of both repeated and new coursework. I have also interned (unpaid) as a clinical research assistant (300 hours working directly with subjects), obtained my phlebotomy certification (60 hour course and 80 hour externship: I've done over 300 venipunctures), and obtained BLS for healthcare professionals. I've also shadowed various PAs for a total of 60 hours. I was attending school full-time during my coursework so do not have paid experience. I am currently seeking a position in Clinical Research where I will perform clinical tasks including phlebotomy on a daily basis.

I realize that my previous low GPA as well as my lack of paid clinical experience are my downfall. However, I've spent years working toward this goal. Yet, my CASPA GPA only came out to cumulative 2.85 and BCP 2.58. These calculations DO NOT include 14 credits taken over the summer (listed as "in progress" on CASPA) that are all As. I'm quite discouraged because my previous grades in college (including courses that I took twice while an undergrad: econ) are pulling me down so much. If these were calculated by replacing the grades I would have a 3.4 cumulative and a 3.5 BCP. I've already been rejected by several schools without them even looking at my application (literally on the 1st day it was due, which leads me to believe a computer knocked me out due to CASPA's GPA calc.). Is there any hope? Past continuing to take class after class (and this would ONLY pull up my GPA possibly to a 3.0, which still wouldn't be competitive) I really don't know what else to do. I previously told myself that if I was rejected I would just keep gaining clinical experience and try again, yet I feel that my GPA will just continue to be a massive hindrance and my experience still wouldn't matter to a great extent.

Is there any hope? Should I just move on? I am 27 right now and have spent the last 5 years in a career that I despise. It pains me when I read about younger students being admitted to PA school directly following undergrad, when I've put so much work into repairing past scholastic damage and obtaining clinical experience during FT school.

During my time shadowing (this was toward the end of my coursework), I felt as though this is what I was meant to do and literally was ecstatic to be in the hospital for 60 hours in 5 days. I suppose I could add that my father is a surgeon and my mother an RN, so I've been exposed to clinical healthcare for my entire life....I just wanted to go a different avenue when I was younger. I want nothing more than to become a PA (I have considered NP but it simply doesn't interest me as PA would, in addition to the time and cost to obtain another BS before MSN, the few direct entry master's programs would not be in the area I wish to pursue). But, at this point need a direction that has a future. Due to my career change I do not make much of a salary and wish to pursue a master's program ASAP. I have also considered obtaining other clinical licensure (surgical tech etc.) for experience pre-PA school, but that would take at least 12 months full-time and it's simply hasn't been a time/cost that I wanted to undertake to this point.

Advice? (sorry for long post!!)

Sorry..my eyes glazed over for a moment but have you looked at PA schools that don't use CASPA? This forum has a few threads on it regarding these schools, as well as schools who take your last 60 or so credits under consideration instead of doing a TOTAL gpa calculation. Again, there are many threads on this topic as well.

Excellent work re taking your previous classes and doing well. University of Washington wants 2.75 (B-) CASPA calculated grades on the science courses. I am sure there are other schools that are similar.

What has CASPA said about updating your summer courses? Seeing how it is mid October, I would assume those summer grades would be squared away by now.

The reality is you may have to wait another year. Which is a PERFECT time to get a job doing direct patient care..not some research job or blowing time shadowing more...A real job making real money laying hands on real people and helping tend to their medical needs in a direct manner. 1500 hours of direct patient care sets you up in a better spot to apply next round.

There are options. Can your dad get you a job as a medical assistant? Many MAs are not certified but do a TON more than just draw blood. They are trained by the staff they work for.

CASPA does not update any grades listed as in progress so its up to you to let schools know that you have new transcripts and get them to them as soon as possible. It would create too much work on them as well as the programs (CASPA calculates but then has to recalculate with the new GPA; send out another app; then the program has to pull your old app and use the new one which is a pain if they review apps as they come in (rolling) instead of waiting until the deadline (traditional) and do this all while making sure that you have all the pieces to your app in)

It is also important to read through the CASPA FAQs, they do not replace grades, they leave that up to the individual programs because those programs determine if the two classes are identical (some people take the same course at different schools)

It is also to important to pay attention to the programs requirements, many ask that you have a certain GPA at the time of applying which means they could care less about what is in progress....if you dont have a 3.0 (or whatever) on that CASPA app, they can (and will) toss your app.

With that said, many non CASPA schools do take the higher of two grades, Western actually recalculates the CASPA GPA (there may be 1 or 2 more schools that do the same but most take the CASPA grades), many have GPA requirements under 3.0 and many look at the last 45-90 hours

Unfortunately the combination of low GPA and hce are hurting you, if it were one or the other you might have a chance but stats are low when its both....

Thanks for the replies. I forgot to add that I did put my high school volunteerism hours on my application (150 hours from 10-11 years ago). CASPA doesn't update grades but I have updated all my schools applied with transcripts and an explanation. The reason behind my clinical research internship (which is direct hands on: I performed health assessments, took vitals, blood draws, etc. etc.) is because in California, it is nearly impossible to find a clinical healthcare position without certifications, and on top of that they want years of experience (even for MA jobs).

I recently moved back to the east coast and it is easier to obtain positions in this area. However, I suppose that I am worried that I will never be accepted into PA school and in that event, I do need a backup. At this point in my life it is difficult for me to obtain an MA position knowing that should I never attend PA school, it's another cut into my professional experience, as an MA or Phlebotomist salary is not sufficient for the long run. I don't mean that to sound cutting but I am just trying to stack the deck so that I have options.

The positions that I am currently interviewing for are quite clinical: performing pulmonary function testing, blood draws, health assessments, etc. Do you feel that this really won't be sufficient for re-application next year?

You can definitively get a job as a medical assistant without being trained. I am one. They just teach you on the job. It is very very stressful though if you are not good with stress. I am there part time and full time school and it is insane the amount of knowledge you must learn while working and you feel like a dummy when everyone is flying past you but you gotta do what you gotta do. Once you get used to it it's like any other job + the Dr's you will be working with will probably write you good letters of recommendation. It is do-able. You should go around where you live and go in person and see if they need any help. Your pay will be lower than a certified medical assistant of course; but it is the experience that matters. Don't give up if it is really what you want to do! I have seen many people on this forum get accepted with 2.8-3.0 gpa's. Your HCE is holding you back. Apply EVERYWHERE once you get some HCE. Hope you get an interview, blow them away.

Ill admit it is difficult to get a job as a MA without a cert...many areas require it and many want experience especially if you go to busy offices...they want someone that can hit the ground running. With that said, I was able to get a position as one but I think what helped is that I had training in a bunch of the skills that an MA needs, I just never had an official course. I had experience working in the hospital doing registration, insurance verification from the hospital, unit clerk in the ICU, secretarial work as well which helps out with front office... I'm also a certified phlebotomist and had worked as a clinical research assistant as an internship so I had some back office skills......I marketed those skills when applying for positions and eventually I was hired

I will tell you that it can be difficult getting a position as a phlebotomist because many want experience but you can always try a blood bank, thats where I got my experience after certification. You could also go the CNA route and after the training try to work your way into a MA position or get into a hospital as a tech....theres also EMT.

You might also think about an accelerated nursing program since you already have a BA/BS. It takes about a year and some programs look at that clinical hours as hce (not many but some do). You could either reapply after the program or work as a RN for a year and then apply. That way if you dont get in at lest you have options....you could go CRNA, NP or just continue to gain experience and keep reapplying to PA programs

The only way you can make sure that you never get into a PA program is to stop trying.....theres plenty of routes to take to get to the same endpoint, if one is blocked just look for another path.

Archived