does it matter "which" bio you take?

my undergrad institution only had one general bio class (for non-majors) which I placed out of. I ended up taking Genetics + Micro. These were higher level compared to gen bio.

Has anyone had the same issue? A few programs I contacted said they would have to check my transcript, or will look at the "course description" and make the decision, so I didn't get much info there.

I took the CLEP to avoid a Bio that I considered to be a lower level class (BSC 1005), and took other classes that the course was a prereq for. I applied to Nova after asking them if the Clep was OK, and they told me taking Bio by Clep wouldn't be an issue. I thought everything was OK until I got a letter from Nova telling me that BSC 1005 wasn't good enough.

• Administrator

When in doubt, ask the school advisors which science courses you should take if you want to go to medical school. They may not know what a PA is, but if there's one class for "nurses" and one class for "doctors", you want the "doctors" one. I only had one class not be acceptable, a combined 100 level Orgo/Biochem for nurses, but I didn't mind because that course well prepared me for the REAL OChem I which I took through UNE's online offerings.

I agree with the rev. When in doubt, take the "doctor" route. Even if one or two schools will accept your bio course, it very well may be that others won't. That's what I ran into. I took intro bio at a CC back in the day. Despite it transferring to my university as a course for science majors, some programs aren't accepting it (though some are). Luckily, I checked with them first, but now find myself in another intro bio course, this time at my university, despite this being my last semester of a bio degree (i could teach the course!). C'est la vie. Try and get your bases covered the first time around! Good luck to you!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Archived